Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-15 23:20:08

Nahuel

Slow startup [solved]

Hello everyone.

I have Arch Linux + Xfce4. When I first installed Arch+Xfce, everything worked quite well. I used 'startxfce4' to start xfce and it would load really fast. I have no idea what I did, but after one day it would take about 40 seconds to launch. It'd spend 30 seconds with a black screen and the mouse pointer with the hard drive completely idle and then it'd start loading. I made a fresh system install and it still happens! I thought that would fix it, but no! I can start it with startx, xinit, startxfce4 with no difference.
I've found a few people with the same problem but with no possible solutions.

I can't post any configuration files since I'm not on my computer. If this is needed I'll post them on request.

Thanks!

#2 2009-08-16 01:52:46

bytor4232

Re: Slow startup [solved]

I had the same problem on my primary workstation, and it kept building until I couldn't log in from GDM any more, just startx from a console.

I hate to admit this, but I solved it with this command:

rm -rf .config/ .cache/ .gnome*

Restarted, and it logs in fast now.

#3 2009-08-19 14:50:31

Nahuel

Why, thank you.

I copied and pasted the command on a terminal without noticing the spaces. The command got executed right after I pasted it (must have copied a lf at the end) and it deleted everything I had under .config (including all my album covers in ario, damn!). But after re-configuring xfce and all my other apps, xfce starts like a charm so I suppose your solution was correct. Stupid me for copying it without even reading it.

Thanks.

#4 2015-06-19 01:31:45

ghouston

I know this is an old thread, but somebody asked me to fix the same problem on a current system and a web search turned up this page. Deleting all of the configuration files is a bit undesirable, but i found with trial and error that the following would fix the problem, in this particular case:

rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions

#5 2015-06-19 01:49:16

ToZ
Administrator

As an FYI, in newer versions of Xfce, you can also clear the sessions cache via Settings Manager >> Session and Startup >> Session tab >> "Clear saved sessions".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2019-12-06 06:51:01

kieden

I know this is an old post, sorry for dredging it up (again) but it may get some new views as kali just switched their standard iso to xfce.

I wanted to concur @ToZ with the settings to clear the cached sessions, and also add that when you next go to shutdown/logout make sure you UNCHECK the box that asks to save the session.

#7 2019-12-06 13:22:28

ToZ
Administrator

Yes that is correct.

And welcome to the forums.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer