Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-19 02:58:48

imthenachoman
Website

whisker menu category column width

How can I make the column with the menu categories wider? I have it configured so the category column is on the left but it is too narrow so the category names are getting cut off.

#2 2018-07-19 05:33:37

MountainDewManiac

Re: whisker menu category column width

I just grab that little "grab HERE" thing on the bottom right-hand corner of the menu with my mouse cursor by hovering over it and holding down my mouse button, then dragging it to resize the menu to suit me.

But I have the categories on the right and the application entries on the left. Does doing the above just make your category area larger or something? If so, try reversing their positions, resizing the Whisker menu as per normal, and then swapping them back to the way you prefer, and see if that maintains your resized application-entry space.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2018-07-20 03:23:57

imthenachoman
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I just grab that little "grab HERE" thing on the bottom right-hand corner of the menu with my mouse cursor by hovering over it and holding down my mouse button, then dragging it to resize the menu to suit me.

But I have the categories on the right and the application entries on the left. Does doing the above just make your category area larger or something? If so, try reversing their positions, resizing the Whisker menu as per normal, and then swapping them back to the way you prefer, and see if that maintains your resized application-entry space.

Regards,
MDM

Thanks. That helped. From what I can see there is no way to adjust the width of that column, but if the height of the Whisker menu is too low then it will add a scroll bar to the category column which cuts off the words too. By making the height of my Whisker menu taller/higher, the scroll bars went away and it stopped cutting of the category names. Thanks!

#4 2018-07-20 07:32:50

ozjd
Website

Another option would be to change the icon size in properties. You even remove the icon completely but I doubt that would be a desirable option.

#5 2019-08-17 11:06:24

Aravisian

For the record, and those searching for an answer to this, changing the Font and Font size in Settings, Appearance, will change the size of the Categories menu.

#6 2019-12-12 18:06:04

Aravisian

Aravisian wrote:

For the record, and those searching for an answer to this, changing the Font and Font size in Settings, Appearance, will change the size of the Categories menu.

THis used to work. But the latest version of WhiskerMenu has lost this functionality.
I think Graeme Gotts WhiskerMenu is incredible. Yet, I must admit, I have a severe allergic reaction to the removal of not only good functionality but often, necessary functionality.
Nothing I have tried has any effect whatsoever on the Category Column width. It is perpetually tiny. Anyone know something that I do not?

#7 2019-12-13 00:49:09

ToZ
Administrator

Try variations of this in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

#whiskermenu-window viewport {
	padding-right: 5px;
	padding-left: 5px;
}

Edit: Simplified

Last edited by ToZ (2019-12-13 00:50:53)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2019-12-14 00:02:53

Aravisian

As always - thanks.

That worked. I played with it a bit and set it to the padding I needed.
UPDATE: I spoke too soon.
It did work in increasing the padding but has not solved the problem, any.
The category section has remained the same size and the buttons and names are still being cut off- increasing the padding has only increased the enpty area around what is being cut off.

Last edited by Aravisian (2019-12-14 00:11:05)

Board footer