Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-14 10:02:38

tanmayb.exe
Member
Registered: 2019-12-14
Posts: 4

XFCE Power Manager Brightness Control Issue

Ok So recently I installed Kali Linux 2019.4 on my Old Laptop(Around 9 years old) with XFCE DE
So the problem is I am not able to control the brightness of my display using xfce-power-manger
I tried Parrot OS which had Mate DE with mate-power-manger... Using that power manger I am able to control the brightness of my display..
But I like XFCE DE as it is light weight so decided to install mate-power-manager on my XFCE DE...
I installed it using apt-get... But even after a restart I was not able to see that in my notification panel nor in my applications list.
So I just want to use the mate-desktop-manger in my XFCE DE..
Please help me out...........
I am new to this forum so I dont know whether i have posted this issue on the right place........

Offline

#2 2019-12-14 10:58:19

Jerry3904
Member
Registered: 2013-11-09
Posts: 761

Re: XFCE Power Manager Brightness Control Issue

Did it install correctly? In a terminal, what does this command return:

which mate-power-manager

MX-19 (based on Debian Stable) with Xfce 4.14.
My little collection: Xfce Tidbits

Offline

#3 2019-12-14 11:04:41

tanmayb.exe
Member
Registered: 2019-12-14
Posts: 4

Re: XFCE Power Manager Brightness Control Issue

Jerry3904 wrote:

Did it install correctly? In a terminal, what does this command return:

which mate-power-manager

/usr/bin/mate-power-manager

Offline

#4 2019-12-14 23:29:55

Jerry3904
Member
Registered: 2013-11-09
Posts: 761

Re: XFCE Power Manager Brightness Control Issue

So try entering that command in a terminal and see if it shows up in the systray. If yes the enter it into  Application Autostart.


MX-19 (based on Debian Stable) with Xfce 4.14.
My little collection: Xfce Tidbits

Offline

#5 2019-12-15 04:21:16

tanmayb.exe
Member
Registered: 2019-12-14
Posts: 4

Re: XFCE Power Manager Brightness Control Issue

Jerry3904 wrote:

So try entering that command in a terminal and see if it shows up in the systray. If yes the enter it into  Application Autostart.

Do you mean the "which mate-power-manager" command?
And what command do I need to type for application autostart in the terminal?
I am newbie so i don't know many of things.....

Offline

#6 2019-12-15 18:09:00

alcornoqui
Member
Registered: 2014-07-28
Posts: 536

Re: XFCE Power Manager Brightness Control Issue

Just "mate-power-manager" in a terminal. Let's make it run now, and focus on autostarting later.

smile

Good luck, we're here!

(by the way, the topic of brightness and power management has appeared frequently in this forum, so you/we might end up making it work with Xfce's own power manager)

edit: added link as example of informative post

Last edited by alcornoqui (2019-12-15 18:21:22)

Offline

#7 2019-12-15 21:44:26

tanmayb.exe
Member
Registered: 2019-12-14
Posts: 4

Re: XFCE Power Manager Brightness Control Issue

alcornoqui wrote:

Just "mate-power-manager" in a terminal. Let's make it run now, and focus on autostarting later.

smile

Good luck, we're here!

(by the way, the topic of brightness and power management has appeared frequently in this forum, so you/we might end up making it work with Xfce's own power manager)

edit: added link as example of informative post

Ok I read the link of example but I didn't get/understand the solution?
If you can the please explain me how to do it and it's use and help a newbie?
And yes the mate-power-manager started working but as soon as I press Ctrl+C it's goes from the notification panel...
But as you are saying about fixing the xfce-power-manger i want to try it...

Last edited by tanmayb.exe (2019-12-15 21:45:58)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB