Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-14 17:47:32

ubumonk

HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

hello

I have problems with a new monitor and HDMI connection to the laptop, when connect the external monitor AOC 22BH1 21.5" & no signal, can be a problem with HD intel graphics HD 520.

I tried an old monitor HP LA1905wg 19" (16:9) no signal too. sad

Hardware > Lenovo Laptop V110 15,4"

External monitor > AOC 22BH1 21.5"

OS > Xubuntu 16.04

kernel version > 4.15.0-65-generic

kernel.log >drm] HPD interrupt storm detected on connector HDMI-A-1: switching from hotplug detection to polling

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version" >OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5

lspci |grep VGA >VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 0a)

xfsettingsd -V > xfsettingsd 4.12.0 (Xfce 4.12)

inxi -Fxz > Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 520 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.6 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)

xrandr > Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
eDP-1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

I have installed the latest intel drivers via > intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.2_amd64.deb, intel you have abandoned them long ago

Any solution?

Thank you!

#2 2019-10-15 16:52:53

ubumonk

Re: HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Upgraded Xenial to Bionic, installed the latest kernel 5.3.6.....not working sad

Last edited by ubumonk (2019-10-15 17:01:30)

#3 2019-10-24 14:27:11

ubumonk

Today install the latest open graphics drivers for Bionic without success, probably another person can be useful

https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u … ter=xenial

#4 2019-12-24 15:36:21

ubumonk

Tested with many distros, all with the same error, currently use Disco Dingo to try to solve the error, probably HDMI hardware port error

Last edited by ubumonk (2019-12-25 09:12:53)

#5 2019-12-25 11:05:32

Aravisian

ubumonk wrote:

Tested with many distros, all with the same error--probably HDMI hardware port error

Your logic is sound. I would suggest checking the Monitor before the Computer, by using your same process of elimination if you can get another monitor available.

#6 2019-12-25 11:21:56

ubumonk

I tested it with two different monitors that work well on other computers connected to HDMI port, tested different HDMI cables with the same result.

Without any monitor or hdmi cable connected to the hdmi port and running Arandr, syslog always responds > "[drm] HPD interrupt storm detected on connector HDMI-A-1: switching from hotplug detection to polling"

If the monitor is connected to HDMI the same response.

I turn on the laptop dmesg same message > ""[drm] HPD interrupt storm detected on connector HDMI-A-1: switching from hotplug detection to polling"

#7 2019-12-25 11:45:46

Aravisian

ubumonk wrote:

I turn on the laptop dmesg same message > ""[drm] HPD interrupt storm detected on connector HDMI-A-1: switching from hotplug detection to polling"

This is odd...
From what you posted above, it would appear to be a hardware issue. However, this post suggests otherwise.
Ordinarily, I would suggest trying a different Kernel. But you also pointed out that you tried it with several different distros- so, either each distro was using the same kernel that conflicted with your specific hardware- or your hardware has a voltage fault.
Just the same, what happens if you try booting up from the older 4.19 or so Kernel?

EDIT: You can use Synaptic Package manager or Ukuu to roll back your kernel.
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/uku … nel-ubuntu
(While Ukuu is great, I recommend installing at need and uninstalling once your need is completed because it will nag your horribly to upgrade your kernel.)

Last edited by Aravisian (2019-12-25 11:47:37)

#8 2019-12-25 11:56:33

ubumonk

I have tried many kernel versions, 4.19, 4.18, 4.14 and the latest 5.x branch versions up to the latest 5.4. and without success.

I can only think of a hardware failure or since the kernel uses the free version intel drivers already integrated in the kernel.

Previously intel drivers were installed via intel-graphics-update-tool

Yes, I have installed ukuu to test different versions of the kernel

#9 2019-12-25 12:07:47

Aravisian

Have you tried nouveau  drivers?

#10 2019-12-25 12:13:52

ubumonk

nouveau drivers? = nvidia graphics, my laptop uses HD intel graphics 520 (skylake GT2)

#11 2019-12-25 12:19:40

Aravisian

ubumonk wrote:

nouveau drivers? = nvidia graphics, my laptop uses HD intel graphics 520 (skylake GT2)

Yes, I was typing that as I was thinking of Possibilities, before I read your post right above mine.

Either way, given your extensive testing- I have to agree (Though I am not an expert) that it sounds like hardware even though it is usually not. Sometimes it is.
I chimed in since no one else had...
It can help to have someone feel your pain even if they cannot carry it away.

I did try searching up anything that may cause that issue that is not hardware and it is what we both already mentioned above- Kernel issue and even then it is not the best possibility since most of those issues stem from a much older kernel than what is currently in use.

Before I crawl off defeated- I will ask whether your notebook offers VGA output (mine does as well as HDMI) and what happens if you try using that.

#12 2019-12-25 12:28:02

ubumonk

unfortunately the laptop does not have DVI or VGA:(

I'm thinking about sending a bug report to 01.org using Dump Tool.

I have exhausted all the tests and smoke test

#13 2019-12-25 12:31:21

Aravisian

ubumonk wrote:

unfortunately the laptop does not have DVI or VGA:(

I'm thinking about sending a bug report to 01.org using Dump Tool.

I have exhausted all the tests and smoke test

It's worth a shot if they can replicate it.

It probably is not worth the expense of trying out an external video card.

#14 2019-12-25 12:38:56

ubumonk

It is not worth the cost of vga and buying a new laptop either, the laptop works fine with everything.

Another possibility is to update the BIOS == panic

#15 2019-12-25 22:58:17

Aravisian

Many machines out there are built with Windows in mind. It IS the dominant O.S. On occasion, this means that the finickiness of the machine can more apparent in some than in others and troubleshooting it can be very difficult.
When you ask about things that could be hardware Issues on a forum, it is less easy to get any response because most people will think along the lines of "We cannot do anything about Hardware at a distance over the internet." You cannot download some more RAM.
Assuming for a moment that you do not have Broken Hardware; you may be running into the problem above. It may be that there is an obscure solution out there that few people know or would know as they do not daily write for this particular programming. However, like looking for a needle in a haystack, you may end up calling off the search and getting a new needle.

I agree with you that it is not worth it, today, to go buying a bunch of extra Plug-in hardware just to see if you can get a feature to work. However, I would (and often do) encourage people to plan ahead for their Next Machine, as there will be one, anyway. To prepare in advance to buy the next computer built for Linux.
I have yet to buy mine- I am still preparing. In other words, saving up for it.
They are not more expensive than those built for windows- just more commonly new. I guess if you know where to look, you can find a used one.

Sometimes, I help others by giving them direct knowledge. More often, I help by throwing ideas out there and it nudges them to think of things they had not thought of or tried before and that leads them to find the solution.
On this one, I am not smart enough to be very helpful. Maybe others are not in a position to effectively troubleshoot, either. And in the end, it may well come down to accepting this machines limitation and planning for the next one.

#16 2019-12-26 09:02:11

ubumonk

Appreciate your ideas for my problem.

- HDMI port works fine all the time
- (software update or power surge problem) = HDMI port down

Laptop is free os and 100% compatible, it is 3 years old.

Today we are lucky that finding Free OS / GNU/Linux compatible laptops is easier than 15 years ago, when you really had to make a roadmap to buy a compatible laptop!

thanks!

Last edited by ubumonk (2019-12-27 07:53:01)

#17 2019-12-26 09:19:21

Aravisian

ubumonk wrote:

Appreciate your ideas for my problem.

- HDMI port works fine all the time
- (software update or power surge problem) = HDMI port down

Portable is free os and 100% compatible, it is 3 years old.

Today we are lucky that finding Free OS / GNU/Linux compatible laptops is easier than 15 years ago, when you really had to make a roadmap to buy a compatible laptop!

thanks!

In a few days, I will reach my first One year anniversary as a Linux user. Around this time last year, I had never used Linux at all. I missed out on a lot of development, but I am ready to keep learning, now. big_smile
I did not experience what you have, but I agree that we are better off now. But we still have a way to go, as well.
I have been very fortunate that all my installations of Zorin have gone smoothly with very very few problems and most of those problems were self-inflicted in the beginning.

Board footer