Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-26 19:51:56

apurkrt

[SOLVED] Unable to unlock a session - "Incorrect password"

Hi, I hit this strange issue today: I am unable to unlock a notebooks screen. The dialog for entering password shows up just fine, I enter the password and then it is "Checking..." - 2 seconds - "Incorrect password.". I checked the password typing many many times, caps lock is off, as is numlock. I can log into a virtual console (Ctrl+Alt+F2) just fine, but the only way how to "unlock" the session is either reboot or terminate X server.

I tried to wipe .config/xfce4 and started with default configuration, to no avail - upon locking the screen, I simply cannot unlock it.

I tried the same on a desktop, and there the locking and unlocking works completely fine.

Anybody has a clue what could be happening?

Last edited by apurkrt (2019-12-28 10:18:53)

#2 2019-12-26 22:58:04

ozjd
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to unlock a session - "Incorrect password"

You need to say what you are using to lock your session. Is it a screensaver or a locker such as light locker? If it isn't the Xfce screensaver then you may get a better answer asking your distro.

#3 2019-12-27 07:48:21

apurkrt

It is the Xfce screensaver. The problem occurs with the default config (after wiping ~/.config/xfce4). Lock can be either as a screensaver (after some time in inactivity) or the problem also occurs when you click the user name (upper right corner in the default config) and choose "Lock Screen". The screen locks ok, but cannot be unlocked.

#4 2019-12-27 11:45:35

ToZ
Administrator

Any screensaver errors  in your journal (assuming systemd)?

journalctl | grep xfce4-screensaver

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-12-27 19:37:19

apurkrt

ToZ wrote:

Any screensaver errors  in your journal (assuming systemd)?

journalctl | grep xfce4-screensaver

I use sysvinit/openrc (gentoo), so no journalctl.

I think it is a bug. The only relevant difference between the two machines (one of them working fine, the other does not) I have found so far is a difference in /etc/passwd. There are some removed accounts on the notebook from earlier experiments (mysql, mail, postmaster), perhaps that is messing up the unlocking(?) The question is how does the unlocking dialog check for password. Guess I will delve into the code.

#6 2019-12-28 09:57:32

apurkrt

The "Incorrect password." message can be found in https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-screens … pam.c#n432 in "set_pam_error"  function, which in turn is called only from "gs_auth_verify_user".

The error seems system-wide - I created a new user and the error persists. Can log in to console, but cannot unlock a locked session.

Perhaps something is wrong with PAM(?)

PS: To "unlock" the session is is possible to just kill the xfce4-screensaver (from a virtual console). The session is saved, but apparently the screensaver does not work anymore.

Last edited by apurkrt (2019-12-28 09:58:14)

#7 2019-12-28 10:18:11

apurkrt

I've got it! It had nothing to do with Xfce. For whatever reason, I needed to reinstall (re-emerge) sys-libs/pam (and reboot). Now everything works fine.

Last edited by apurkrt (2019-12-28 10:22:41)

Board footer