Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-04 20:00:52

yikyak

Question re: xffm menus [open with ... etc.]

I've checked the FAQ, mailing lists, wiki and the docs, but the answer to this one continues to evade me (apologies if I'm missing something obvious).

In xffm, when you click the 'open with ...', you can specify an application and tell xffm whether to remember that association so it will appear in future menus (for those file types etc.).

How do you _remove_ those 'associations' from the menu? Amongst other reasons, I've got too many text editors associated and want to get rid of some of them. I've checked the .config and .cache directories and couldn't find the relevant config (if that's where it it exists).

Some of the configs for xffm use binary file formats (libdbh) and I was wondering if it was in there. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Loving xcfe so far, btw. Excellent work.

#2 2005-09-04 22:53:13

TomE

Re: Question re: xffm menus [open with ... etc.]

documentation wrote:

These options are constructed from the system wide mimetype applications, the user mimetype applications (constructed by clicking remember when the open with function is used), and the last application used to open the file (whether remember was checked or not).

so you will have to edit the mimeassociation
the best app for this is the rox edior

#3 2005-09-05 13:33:16

yikyak

Heh - that's as subtle and circumlocutory a way of saying "Yes, those settings are in the binary disk-based hashtable files" as I've ever seen.  :wink:

I'm curious as to why the choice of DBH was made instead of some easily hackable XML or plain text format. I seem to recall the specs intentionally making no assertions as to how those (configuration and preference) settings should be stored.

#4 2005-09-30 23:46:58

mbokil
Website

ug, you have to be kidding me. There is no simple XML config file to edit to set associations in XFFM. Tell me this isn't so.

Author of: MenuX Firefox extension, MonkeyMenu Seamonkey extension, SeaFox GTK theme, and Volume Desklet
Cats rule!

#5 2006-07-21 01:34:54

jshanab

THis still hasn't been addressed ???

It is a real problem when you can't inspect it, ie gmplayer -ao=...some option that no longer applies, Mozilla changes their name to seamonkey, or you need to edit html with gedit and also view it in a browser, right click vs double click

If you tell me what I need to know about the binary format, and how to write a plug-in??? I may look into it :-)   It is the only part of xfce that I don't like.

hamal: atlonxp1600 2.6.13-gentoo-r2,gnome single monitor
ghidra: amd64 2.6.13-gentoo-r2, 3 heads, xfce4
jeffnote: 900mhz pIII thinkpad, 2.6.13-gentoo-r2, xfce4

Board footer