Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-01-01 13:19:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Can't browse network with thunar

Did gvfs get updated as well? Thunar uses GVFS (GIO) to do this. Info on debugging gvfs here.

Can you replicate the problem with nautilus or nemo (they also use gvfs and would help identify whether its thunar or gvfs that is the issue)?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#27 2023-02-09 07:46:34

BenyaminL
Website

ToZ wrote:

How did you open the ports? Which ones?
I use ufw and open the whole subnet for allowed traffic (never got around to figure out exactly which ports are needed):

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.0/24

Also, can you post back your /etc/samba/smb.conf?

What are you trying to see/connect to? SMB (network) browsing is inherently insecure and both Microsoft and Samba have disabled it in recent versions (hence samba requiring "client min protocol = NT1" to turn it on again). I believe you also need to enable it in recent versions of Windows as well.

My biggest question is why Windows 10 and 11 has network scan while on Xfce Thunar now isn't? Or their protocol to scan is different?

#28 2023-02-09 11:25:48

ToZ
Administrator

Don't Windows 10/11 have browse disabled now because it is insecure? Although I believe there is an option in Windows to enable SMB 1.0.

Thunar uses gvfs which relies on samba (and firewall) configuration, and neither of those two are part of Xfce. In other words, Thunar will browse the network if all other conditions are right. The "all other conditions" part is the problem.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer