Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2024-05-28 03:23:08

rayandrews

Re: session not saved on shutdown [SOLVED] ... sorta solved anyway.

ToZ:

% dbus-send --session --dest=org.xfce.SessionManager --print-reply /org/xfce/SessionManager org.xfce.Session.Manager.Checkpoint string:""

.... works perfectly :-)

#27 2024-05-28 09:51:32

ToZ
Administrator

Glad to hear. It definitely is a strange problem.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#28 2024-05-28 12:33:10

rayandrews

So, can I add that command to ... whatever systemd does ... as I understand there should be a 'shut down service' or a 'shut down target' or summit like that.  My love of systemd is right up there with my love of GRUB, but I understand that you can pull this sort of trick.  (I've converted to eEFInd boot manager and it works perfectly :-) 

BTW, a few remaining observations: I get my desktop back almost as I left it but my editor never reopens and never has.  I use geany -- not sure if others would be the same -- and it never reopens.  Also, strange things with terminals -- size, count and positions are remembered but the numbering of them is -- and always has been -- strange.  " | ... | ... | ... | "  indicating my three monitors I shutdown with:

| 54|32|7610|  ... them being terminal numbers, and I reboot with:

|32|54|7610| ... so there's some indiscipline as to which monitor is which.  But it is interesting that going by physical position every terminal is displaying the current directory that it did on shutdown.  That is, the (say) leftmost terminal on my middle monitor was #3 on shutdown and #5 on reboot, but it is logged to /root/.mozilla just the same -- so go figger.  In practice I don't really care, I pay about zero attention to terminal numbers.

Anyway if we can add the command above to 'shutdown service' (or whatever it's called) I rate this as solved.

#29 2024-05-28 14:15:51

rayandrews

Created:

1 /etc/rc0.d 1 % cat Rays-shutdown.sh 
dbus-send --session --dest=org.xfce.SessionManager --print-reply /org/xfce/SessionManager org.xfce.Session.Manager.Checkpoint string:""

... and it seems fine :-)  As above there's issues with terminal numbers and I notice on this restart a few terminals are  not logged onto the the correct  directories -- that seems to be hit and miss -- but it's more or less, sorta, kinda good enough.  I still think the devs should take a look at this.  If they are interested I'll do whatever it takes to cooperate with them.

Last edited by rayandrews (2024-05-28 21:26:07)

Board footer