Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-04 13:44:48

herchu

[Solved] Automatically move panel to first or second display

Hi all,

I had tried xfce earlier, but moved from gnome to xfce 4.8 "for real" (hopefully), just ~1 week ago.

I use a laptop as workstation, sometimes with its only display and sometimes connected to a second monitor using the VGA output. When using two monitors, I prefer all panels (taskbar, etc.) to live in the VGA display to use it as "primary". When I used gnome, I had to tell the display manager the VGA output was "primary"; and while it was located at the right side, I had to do a small trick since this setup is not reachable from the gnome-settings-manager. I used an xrandr command like

xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1 --primary

to do it.

I want to replicate the setup I used in gnome: my panels should move to the second output when connected. The options under Settings Manager > Panel say "Automatic", "LVDS1" (the laptop's LCD) or "VGA1", but none of them does what I would prefer.... Is there any way to programatically, or via some command, set the output on which a panel is rendered?

Thanks!
Hernan

#2 2011-02-10 10:16:18

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: [Solved] Automatically move panel to first or second display

Currently the panel hides when the output is not connected, but that can be changed (ie. made optional). Please file a bug report at bugzilla.xfce.org.

#3 2011-02-11 22:15:02

herchu

Re: [Solved] Automatically move panel to first or second display

Thanks. I posted it as ticket 7272. Though it would have been nicer to see this working, it is good to know it just does not work as I expected so I do not look for hacks anymore smile

Board footer