Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#276 2017-06-15 08:11:08

Jristz

Re: What's New in Xfce

For anyone reading this, the new is that xfce website got a revamp and may core apps got they gtk3 version in developer version.
I think from core apps only thunar, thunar-volman and a few are just missing.

for plugins and panel plugins are a mixed bag and maybe some user could look the ones missing.

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#277 2017-09-09 02:28:14

Jristz

3 months has pased and I only can add that the roadmap was updated and some(yea some) apps got gtk3 ports.

The only majosr are the "new" xkd plugin now peoperly use the config in the desktop instead of overrriding it and got gtk3 (we recomend use 0.8.1)

from the roadmap now we can infer that 75% of the core apps are ported to gtk3 yet just around 50% of goodies and plugins are ported, so if you want contribute now the plugins and goodies are your best bet (just remember release a version when the gtk3 is ready).

I'm not totally sure Xfce4.14 will get at the end of 2017.

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#278 2018-03-21 10:11:34

fern

ToZ wrote:

Given the recent posts regarding a perceived lack of development in Xfce, and since I follow the dev mailing list and see the announcements about new features/enhancements and regularly build Xfce from git, I thought I'd start this thread to show whats being worked on and whats coming down the pipeline. To kick it off, here are three recent enhancements:

1. Xfce Power Manager
Recent enhancements to better support systemd and upower along with some design changes:

As far as your commentary, the systemd cancer continues to contaminate even in the graphics desktop software, spooky!   sad

#279 2018-03-21 19:21:13

MountainDewManiac

Is this forum still a FUD-Free zone, lol? There is a difference (AFAIK) between supporting a thing and requiring it.

(To me), it appears logical to support a thing that many distros use. Also (again, to me) I worry less about whether the next distro install (almost always one that uses Xfce as its DE) I do contains systemd than whether it'll have GTK3 - and receive an update that breaks something. But I'm a computer user, not a computer programmer, so I am far more concerned with whether a thing works - and reliably so - than what color it is, what it smells like, whether the guy who first created a part that it uses is well-liked, or whether the entity that appears to be a major force behind that part is actually able to pay its developers (rather well, lol).

There is probably a thread around here for systemd (as it relates to Xfce) discussion. If not, feel free to create one. I wouldn't mind learning something about it. But a one-sentence comment that compares it to cancer in no way increases my knowledge. And, to be honest, both I and my family have dealt with cancer for years - and I can say that it almost certainly is nothing like systemd. If you do not believe me, wander into almost any hospital and look for the entire family that's crying. When you find them, try starting a conversation with, "I know what you folks are going through. I have systemd on my computer, and it's just as bad as what your father (etc.) is dying of." (That was sarcasm, BtW. Not only would I feel really bad if you contributed to random strangers overwhelming grief... you might be a pretty decent person, so I would feel bad if I later learned that a comment of mine had anything at all with you being hurled down a flight of stairs.)

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#280 2018-03-21 23:29:01

alcornoqui

@MDM: Totally agree!

Plus, Xfce must be quite independent from systemd when it's the default desktop environment for Devuan:

Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd. The latest 1.0.0 Jessie release (LTS) marks an important milestone towards the sustainability and the continuation of Devuan as a universal base distribution. Since the declaration of intention to fork in 2014, infrastructure has been put in place to support Devuan’s mission to offer users control over their system. Devuan Jessie provides continuity as a safe upgrade path from Debian 7 (Wheezy) and a flawless switch from Debian 8 (Jessie) that ensures the right to Init Freedom and avoids entanglement.

#281 2018-03-21 23:37:44

Jerry3904

We use a *shim* for it in order to get certain software (Network Manager, for instance) to run, but systemd itself is disabled. It can be enabled--this is Linux, after all--and we provide directions and known issues for that:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd

But we're off topic, sorry.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#282 2018-03-22 03:02:22

fern

The function of systemd  was only to replace sysv init, but now it takes over the network, takes over the root of the system, takes over the user's login, and possibly the linux kernel itself and the rest of the graphic desktops that start to show signs of systemd dependencies.

Look what they say in those forums:

Void Linux Forum

Systemd & pulseaudio as NS-A vulnerabilities
I recently  read  that some out there think Pottering is some kind of agent creating vulnerabilities/backdoors for state  agencies like the NS-A to gain access to Linux...

https://forum.voidlinux.eu/t/systemd-pu … ies/1186/3

Last edited by fern (2018-03-22 03:12:02)

#283 2018-03-22 09:33:04

Jerry3904

Systemd is not a component of Xfce, and its discussion has nothing to do with this thread.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#284 2018-03-22 10:28:57

ToZ
Administrator

Jerry is right. Regardless of your opinions of systemd, Xfce has nothing to do with its development. It mearly supports it as an option for those distros that use it.

Temporarily closing this thread as it no longer has anything to do with its original intent.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer