Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-20 03:05:21

nopposan

sound events

Hello, all.

I gotta tell ya, I love XFCE4! I'm running 4.2.0 from the Oscillation installer.  It's really helped me to get SuSE 10.0 working on a little old laptop with 166 MHz and 128 mb RAM.  Incredible.

Anyhow, I really want to have sound events or at least a startup sound.  Can I do this with the version of XFCE that I have?

I did look and search through the wiki and FAQ and I haven't found anything about this; 'have a feeling that I haven't looked hard enough or in the right places, but I'm getting tired of looking.  There was something about aplay that helped me, but now I can't find that either.

Thanks for any (more) help you can offer.

#2 2006-08-22 06:54:20

sxzzsf

Re: sound events

You can add a line similar
aplay /path/to/your/wav/file.wav &
to the beginning of file ~/.xinitrc

#3 2006-08-24 01:29:29

nopposan

Thanks!  It took me a while, but here's how I did it.
The xinitrc file was in /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4.  I copied this file to my home directory ~/.config.  Then I edited it with xedit, making sure to press "save" twice.

Here's the script that I added there.  I use the Xsessions feature in Xfce4, so I put the script before the starting of xsession:

# Play a startup sound
mplayer /home/nopposan/SciFiSounds/CartoonComputerBeeps.mp3

I didn't add fi at the end of the script 'cause when I did that preveneted Xfce from starting; not sure why.

Thanks for your help, xzzf!

#4 2006-08-25 13:56:42

systemx

i use the autostart function

mpg123 /location/of/sound/file/sound.mp3

#5 2006-08-27 03:53:30

nopposan

Yeah.  I loaded another script into /home/alyson/Desktop/Autostart -- at least I think that was the path -- and now I've got a sound event right after the background comes up.  For some reason I had to create the directory; thought it was supposed to be there already.  ('Could be I accidentally deleted it at some point.)

It's actually kinda neat to have two sounds 'cause this old computer is so slow; the sounds are giving the user signals like, "O.K., I'm going to start your X-session now," and "Hey, your desktop is ready!"

Oh, by the way, I also called up aplay (just the "aplay" command without a file for it to play) in the xinitrc file.  That gets audio going for some games and synthesizers that otherwise weren't heard from.

Thanks everybody.  I think maybe we should end this thread.

Board footer