Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-27 04:18:15

Schizoid

xfterm4 doesn't produce beeps!

I am using xfterm4 0.2.5.4 beta 2. It, like older versions, does not seem to respond when a console program produces an audible bell. If you are using irssi (irc), for example, and some one sends you a message you do not hear a beep. If I run irssi in any other terminal program my pc speaker beeps when this happens.

Is there an option I am missing when I build xfterm? Does it beep for anyone else?

Thanks.

#2 2006-08-27 19:22:34

bobby11890

Re: xfterm4 doesn't produce beeps!

I have noticed that too.  It would not produce a beep in the console.  Here is what I did. I just installed konsole. big_smile  I think it is supposed to be for kde but all of its dependencies were installed without a problem.  If you have synaptic package manager or adept you could probably find it in there or if you are using debian or debian-based or ubuntu, you could do this:

apt-get install konsole

I have never used anything else then debian or debian based so i have no idea how to install stuff on redhat or slackware. I think you use something called yum on redhat.

Hope that helps  smile

#3 2006-08-27 19:29:02

Schizoid

I do not use any Qt based apps and I am not going to start now just to get my pc speaker to beep. It is a moot point anyway since I can just use any of the other dozen or so console programs like xterm, aterm, or rvxt.

I was just trying to make use of the xfce app since it integrates well and has clickable url's etc.

It seems like a console app should be able to make the pc speaker beep when there is an audible bell. If there isn't something we are missing to turn this feature on maybe it should be reported as a bug.

#4 2006-08-27 22:02:04

s0ulslack

Indeed... search bugs.xfce.org to see if there is an open feature request/bug, if not file one smile

#5 2006-11-03 18:45:28

Schizoid

Well, I made a bug.

http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2448

It seems it was right in front of our noses and we all missed it.

The audible bell is disabled by default. See the user manual for details (i.e.
press F1 or read the manual online at
http://www.os-cillation.com/documentati … n-options).

Doh.

Does seem like a strange option to hide though.

Board footer