Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-16 06:34:05

Josh G.

Problems with Xfce under Xubuntu 6.06 LiveCD

I've recently been trying out several different Linux distributions, but none of them meet my standards for user-friendliness. Unfortunately, Xfce is no different. I'm using the Xubuntu 6.06 LiveCD and have run into several serious problems.

(1) I have a GeForce Ti4200 video card, which is recognized as such by Xubuntu, and a Samsung 1280x1024 LCD monitor that is billed as a "Generic Monitor" in the settings. Even though I manually chose 1280x1024 from the first menu that the LiveCD pops up (using the function keys), it only uses this resolution during the boot process. When the actual desktop is displayed, it's at 1024x768 (which looks like crap since it isn't the display's native pixel resolution). When I go into the Display Settings from the main menu, it only shows resolutions up to 800x600. There's no option there to add other resolutions, manually select a monitor, or anything else. Why? I checked some forum posts and they suggested editing a configuration file. But, first of all, I shouldn't have to manually edit a configuration file to change the resolution in a modern GUI system, and secondly, when I tried, it wouldn't let me change it (presumably because it's burned onto a CD-R). Why doesn't the display Just Work? What do I have to do to make it?

(2) The window titlebar violates Fitt's law. On Windows, I'm used to just shoving the mouse pointer into the top right corner and clicking to close a maximized window. On Xubuntu, that won't work no matter what theme I pick. Instead it thinks I want to resize the window (even though I can't because it is maximized). This is a serious UI problem that makes Xubuntu almost unusable. It wastes several seconds whenever I need to close a maximized window. I checked all the settings that were user-adjustable in the GUI and none of them helped. Is this a bug in Xfce? If not, how do I fix it on the distro? If so, will it be resolved in the forseeable future?

(3) How do I make right-clicking on the desktop display a different menu than the start menu in the lower left corner? I want to make a Linux desktop look and work as much like Windows as possible, but most of the Linux distros seem to pointlessly differentiate themselves from Windows as much as they can.

Good effort, but it still needs a lot of work. I am a sophisticated computer user who has built my last 3 boxes from parts. If I can't find my way around Xubuntu, how do you expect grandma to do so?

#2 2006-09-16 11:06:50

mmassonnet
Website

Re: Problems with Xfce under Xubuntu 6.06 LiveCD

There are forums for Xubuntu and Ubuntu.

Good effort, but it still needs a lot of work. I am a sophisticated computer user who has built my last 3 boxes from parts. If I can't find my way around Xubuntu, how do you expect grandma to do so?

And I'm a n00b who just loves Xfce like it is, find your way in another desktop environment.

Mike

#3 2006-09-16 19:43:10

Josh G.

Xubuntu's Website doesn't have any forums shown.

I don't suppose anyone has any actual, substantive answers to my concerns?

#4 2006-09-16 23:34:00

Josh G.

Well, it looks like the Fitt's Law violation was fixed in xfce 4.4rc1:

http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1750
http://mocha.xfce.org/release_notes/4.4 … gelog.html

However, there's still no LiveCD with the new version. And the other issues are still showstoppers. It's simply impossible to make Xubuntu do what I want it to do.

#5 2006-09-17 00:38:50

Lou Quillio

I don't suppose anyone has any actual, substantive answers to my concerns?

Pal, you're not going to get answers to that stuff here, because you don't yet understand what XFCE is and what role it plays in the concentric systems that make up a desktop Linux system.  It's like blaming a gas station attendant for your car's faulty stereo.  No, it's like blaming a stranger on the street.

If your display resolutions are misconfigured, direct inquiry toward Xorg -- though Ubuntu generally takes responsibility for configuring the X Window system for its users.  Best bet is UbuntuForums.org, or the various Ubuntu lists or Wiki. That stuff's well upstream of XFCE, which can be used with many Linux distros and X Window setups.

Fitts' Law.  Where to begin?  XFCE is a desktop environment.  The project also offers a window manager (XFWM), but you might be using an alternate.  XFCE also includes panel, desktop, and settings-manager apps ... but, again, you might be using alternates.  I generally keep a panel at screen top, so the panel applet owns that real estate.  Point is that no single, unifying framework rules the display.  If you and Dr. Fitts need that, your choices are Windows or OS X.

"How do I make right-clicking on the desktop display a different menu than the start menu in the lower left corner?"

Like what, for instance?  It can be done, natch, but what would you display instead?  Answer that and maybe someone can help.

Good effort, but it still needs a lot of work.

XFCE is a wonderful effort, but it does not and never will control user experience in the ways you imagine.  It's not part of Ubuntu, merely an option.  You'll probably come to understand that.  In the meantime, it may be best to speak less strongly about unfamiliar systems.

XFCE's focus on UI cannot be overstated.  Look at Benny's great work on Thunar, the way he repels bloat requests and features that don't logically belong on the file manager layer, and only grudgingly treads onto the desktop.  XFCE knows where it fits (heh) into the desktop Linux experience, and what's beyond its province.

You might say "I want it to just work", and that's a good thing to want.  XFCE is a subordinate part.  It isn't it.

LQ

#6 2006-09-17 01:01:16

mmassonnet
Website

Josh G. wrote:

Here is one: http://xubuntu.iphorum.com/

Mike

#7 2006-09-17 02:26:06

jamesr

Hi,

Just a general comment the forum refered to is not part of the Ubuntu forums.

The only part of the main forum  refers to other options and included in that is xcfe4 whereas on the Kubuntu forum there is a section devoted to xcfe.

Also many times what may seem as trivial queries go unanswered or suggest the "suck it and see" approach. I had queries about missing toolbars, may not the correct name but as yet I have not received any answers and I only posted the question after much googling. The answer may have been found  in some of the answers in this forum, thank you but do not assume that all people will find this forum.

I personally started to use xfce because of Xubuntu and the need for more efficient / lighter desktop for a server with limited memory where it was easier to use a GUI than command line. Read I was lazy but I believe there will be many that will start using Xubuntu and therefore xfce4 for that reason.

Sorry that this my first post and seem to be complaining but I believe that there will be quite a few of new users who will not see the difference  between the different GUIs but only as part of Ubuntu. Also they will probably load updates from the Xubuntu/Ubuntu respositories not from the xfce site so please be easy on the new users.

Best Wishes
Jim R.

Best Wishes
Jim R.
Xubuntu 6.06

#8 2006-09-18 02:03:46

Lou Quillio

Should add that xfce4-panel's panels are Fitts' law compliant.  A panel applet that you choose to place in a screen corner is selectable at the extreme corner.  Window controls cannot be -- unless XFCE were aware of XFWM and behaved specially in that case.  Don't know enough about FreeDesktop.org standards to know if that's even appropriate.

LQ

#9 2006-09-18 03:45:25

stonecrest

Josh G. wrote:

Well, it looks like the Fitt's Law violation was fixed in xfce 4.4rc1:

http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1750
http://mocha.xfce.org/release_notes/4.4 … gelog.html

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I tried my own theme and the default themes (both with borders removed in maximized state) and I was not able to close windows by putting the cursor all the way to the top-right. I could understand that it might not work for all themes because of spacing/padding, but the default theme?

(Note I don't care too much about this particular feature and prefer borders in maximized state, I'm just saying...)

Board footer