Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-18 21:04:37

rfreidel

Kudos to the developers

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this but...

Am using XFCE 4.3.90.2 on Gentoo, with Thunar. Man, I am in like with XFCE again.

I used XFCE exclusively for a long time, then the new file manager came out, I hated it, never did like Rox too well, I eventually stopped using XFCE due to my feelings towards the file management.

I eventually put together a new computer for home usage and put Gentoo on it. Saw Thunar in portage, figured what the heck, I am glad I gave it a try, the new XFCE has what I have been looking for in a desktop. As usual I have not read the manual, but I keep finding hidden functionality in the desktop mouse/keyboard switches, its pretty cool, hope they stay there in the new version.

Thunar reminds me of the original file manager in XFCE, it is very fast, easy to use, and full of features.

I liked it well enough to have wiped out my freebsd install on my laptop just to install Gentoo and XFCE/Thunar.

Many thanks to the developers. This is what a desktop is supposed to be like.

#2 2006-09-20 17:00:09

Sunnz

Re: Kudos to the developers

So you are using the testing branch??

I have only installed 4.2, and I loved it too; I was trying out Sabayon earlier with bundled KDE with over a thousand packages... it is just too much I I decided to just re-install using normal Gentoo, and I tried out Xfce, it is absolutely beautifull - it is fast, elegant, has nearly everything I wanted for a desktop.

Xffm isn't exactly my taste though, but I have seen screenshots from Thunar, it well, looks promising, so to thank the developers, I might actually donate something for OSS for once!!

Board footer