Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-05 20:48:11

wlkngowl

Which Thunar version is installed? --version vs Help | About

When I run Thunar --version, I get the following:

Thunar 0.8.0 (Xfce 4.4.0)

Copyright (c) 2004-2007
        The Thunar development team. All rights reserved.

Written by Benedikt Meurer <benny@xfce.org>.

Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.

but when I run that same version Thunar, and use Help | About, it says "Thunar 0.4.0rc1".

#2 2007-02-05 21:16:31

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Which Thunar version is installed? --version vs Help | About

:? Are you sure there are no old versions of Thunar running? Or maybe there are weird patches applied... because technically this is not possible :-|.

#3 2007-02-05 21:19:05

wlkngowl

I don't know. I'm looking around for old libraries and trying to figure out why it says that.  Probably will delete the files and restart X.

Part of my problem is that Ubuntu installed files in --prefix=/usr/local but when I ran an installer for one of the release candidates, I used default prefix of /usr.  So I've had shreds of conflicting libraries here and there.  Perhaps a future version of the installer can make a better guess at the default?

UPDATE: Deleting older versions of libraries installed in different locations and restarting X seems to have solved this  problem!  smile

#4 2007-02-05 21:48:40

Nick
Dev
Website

Why should the installer detect the location of the old packages? It's not very smart to overwrite the files of the package manager, instead, the user should be smart enough to remove an old version of Xfce before installing a new one. This to prevent weird link problems and such.

#5 2007-02-06 12:04:11

wlkngowl

Nick wrote:

Why should the installer detect the location of the old packages? It's not very smart to overwrite the files of the package manager....

Good point. It shouldn't overwrite existing packages, but detecting that they are already there (possibly in a different location) and warning the user is a good idea.

Backing up existing files and then overwriting them might be another option.

Board footer