Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-14 01:48:57

dasistwas

How to make xfce the default desktop in opensuse 10.2?

Hi,
I already tried to copy the three lines of the FAQ section to the bashrc file via copy paste, but that didn t work:

if [ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" -o "$(tty)" = "/dev/vc/1" ] ; then
  startxfce4
fi

I know I can start xfce by switching to runlevel 3 and then type startxfce4 in the console. But what I want is just to turn on the computer and be in xfce and not start gnome (my actual desktop to which I am logged in automatically on startup) and then open console and start xfce.
Perhaps a stupid question, but can anybody help me out? Can I configure it using the bootloader config tool? Or type at startup in GRUB the boot option "desktop=xfce" (that works in knoppix for fluxbox, but I dont think it works in suse for xfce)

Thanks for your help.
David

#2 2007-02-14 12:42:43

Pindakoe

Re: How to make xfce the default desktop in opensuse 10.2?

If you use GDM as login manager then the following may help (it may also apply to KDM and XDM but I have no experience with those). Mandriva defines several sessions (desktop environment) in /etc/X11/wmsession.d or /etc/X11/dm/Sessions. These files follow the .desktop specification (see www.freedesktop.org). I had similar problems and got some helpfull posts from philip here. Apaprently similar files should exist for Suse in /usr/share/xsession.

#3 2007-02-15 09:12:28

dasistwas

Re: How to make xfce the default desktop in opensuse 10.2?

Thank you for your help. Indeed it was quite simpler than paste some code somewhere.
I just had to install the xfce desktop via yast. Then deactivate automatic login in the user management of yast and then on startup at the login-screen select Session -> Xfce Desktop

How simple life can be.
It would be quite simpler if that was written somewhere in the documentation (opensuse or Xfce).

Board footer