Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-27 02:39:51

hornett

Beryl / Compiz -vs- the Pager

Firstly, thanks for all the fantastic work on XFCE. Everything down the the GUI installer yikes is amazing...

*ahem* that  :-* over with, I have a small problem using XFCE with Beryl. Specificially, the pager does not work as expected.

• Clicking the boxes for each desktop does not rotate to the cube side (as it would under Gnome for example).

• Using the hotkeys to rotate to the next beryl desktop does not switch xfce's workspace, and the same windows are kept on screen.

To use, it feels like there are two completely seperate implementations of virtual desktops running. I suppose that could actually be true? ;D

I found some patches for KDE's kicker over at http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=46021 and wondered if something similar exists for XFCE ?

Thanks a lot,

Andy.

#2 2007-02-27 08:13:31

krkhan
Website

Re: Beryl / Compiz -vs- the Pager

hornett wrote:
  • Clicking the boxes for each desktop does not rotate to the cube side (as it would under Gnome for example).

• Using the hotkeys to rotate to the next beryl desktop does not switch xfce's workspace, and the same windows are kept on screen.

I'm using Beryl 0.2.0-rc1 with Xfce 4.4, and I don't face either of these problems. Clicking the boxes rotate the desktop just fine and if I switch to any side of the cube, the pager changes desktop and new windows appear (if they exist).

Perhaps your Beryl settings are messed up (the Beryl Settings Manager is a giant hydra), or you're running an older version.

The only thing in the Beryl/Xfce combination that's been bothering me is that if I right click a window in the panel, the Send To menu has only Workspace 1 present in the options. So I have to drag windows around the cube to change their workspaces.

#3 2007-02-27 09:20:21

hornett

I'm using Beryl 0.2.0-rc1 with Xfce 4.4

Thanks for your reply!

I'm running XFCE 4.4, my version of beryl is 0.1.9999.2 - I haven't tried any newer than that yet.

I just noticed that using beryl-settings, you can set the "horiz virtual size" to 4, "vertical virtual size" to 1 and "number of desktops" to 1, then you can indeed use the xfce pager. However, it becomes very narrow, and not much use for managing windows! (also it loses its seperated boxes and becomes one big white box instead!)

#4 2007-06-23 13:24:14

adaqus

hornett wrote:

I just noticed that using beryl-settings, you can set the "horiz virtual size" to 4, "vertical virtual size" to 1 and "number of desktops" to 1, then you can indeed use the xfce pager. However, it becomes very narrow, and not much use for managing windows! (also it loses its seperated boxes and becomes one big white box instead!)

Hi! I had the same problem with XFCE. In Beryl settings, General Options -> Desktop Background -> unchecking 'Desktop Manager supports viewports' solved it.

Board footer