Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-10 19:32:25

maddog39

Font size got all screwy on WM, Panels, and Desktop

Hello all,

Im running the latest version of XFCE (4.4.0) on top of my standard Ubuntu LTS installation (NOT Xubuntu). Its been working great for like 3-4 months now. But suddenly today I login and everything on my desktop, window titles, application text, and my panels have like 5pt font size, barely readable on my monitor. I tried going into User Interface settings in XFCE but that had very little effect and would only change the sizes of certain things and I havnt even touched the font settings since I installed XFCE or ever for that matter.

Here is a screenshot.
http://www.dximages.uni.cc/files/1/scre … nytext.png

Thanks!
-maddog39

#2 2007-04-14 07:38:17

rpavery

Re: Font size got all screwy on WM, Panels, and Desktop

Hello,

I had the same problem when I upgraded to XFCE 4.4.1 last night - after logging in, the font sizes were tiny! Here's what I did to partially fix the problem:

I found that my font size was set to Sans 9 in Settings Manager -> User Interface. I changed it to 12 and that seemed to be the size I had before. To get the desktop icons to refresh, I had to also go to the Behavior tab in Settings Manager -> Desktop and uncheck then re-check
the 'Use system font size' check box.

This seemed to fix my problem but created new ones - my Terminal window was small. That was easy to fix, I just set the font size back to 12 under Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance. My fonts in the toolbars and menus on Firefox are now huge (they seem to accept the new font size from the window manager). Other programs (I quickly tried The GIMP, OpenOffice.org, gaim, etc) do not seem to have this problem. Changing the font settings in Firefox didn't affect the toolbars but made page font sizes small. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Note - I'm using Xfce 4.4.1, Firefox 2.0.0.3 on FreeBSD 6.2-Release-p3 on the amd64 platform.

Thanks!

Ryan

#3 2007-04-14 17:01:25

Jellybean

This had to do with the dpi settings. You can do one of two things:
1. Change your login manager (the program which starts x) to set the dpi correctly (you probably want 100, 96 or 75). This is a good solution that will work for all users unless they specify their own setting. But I don't know how to do it with GDM.
2. You can change it on a per user basis in the file ~/.config/xfce/Xft.xrdb. (This folder is hidden by default, so press Ctrl+H in Thunar to show it.) Simply add a new line like this:
Xft.dpi: 100
You can try 100, 96 and 75 to see what you like.

Edit: Most gecko builds (that means the page area in Epiphany and the entire Firefox) ignores or misreads the dpi settings so that things looks wrong. This is simply a bug.

#4 2007-04-15 07:11:46

lyrae

For me, the best way is to add

Option   "DPI" "96 x 96"

under the monitor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  It works for me.

#5 2007-04-20 01:47:35

Mig21

I got the same problem after upgrading to 4.4.1 an hour ago. Xorg sais it ignores the DPI option for my video card (radeon 9250). I don't have an Xft.xrdb file anywhere.

I filed a bug, I hope this gets fixed quickly. http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3164

#6 2007-04-21 11:55:47

Jellybean

I have never seen setting Option "DPI" is xorg.conf work.

Instead, you must pass -dpi 100 to the X executable. Configure your login manager to do this. Or, simply create the Xft.xrdb file and the line from above.

#7 2007-06-26 14:52:56

RoobZ

I had the same problem and I did the same in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

In the Device Section:

Option   "UseEdidDpi" "false"
Option   "DPI" "96 x 96"

This is said here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … Size.2FDPI

I'm using a Nvidia card and this configuration works so fine.

#8 2007-06-27 22:00:12

hotani

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I logged in last night and the fonts were microscopic. After adjusting them to 'Sans 14' or something, I openend Firefox and holy crap the text was HUGE!

Just added the settings to xorg, hopefully that will fix it. I won't be able to check till I get home later tonight.

current environment: Xubuntu 7.04/Xfce 4.4.0
also playing around with: 7.10/4.4.1

Board footer