Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-14 19:21:12

error_401

Mount a CDROM

Hi all,

here's another one about my lovely Dell Latitude C400 subnotebook: It doesn't have an internal CD-ROM drive, that's why it's so light. I've bought an external one and after a while I even found the cable to connect the two at a reasonable price. The only trouble is: It is not mounted automatically and I've not a clue how to do it - I do know the mnt or umnt command, but to use that, I'd have to know where the device drivers for the thing are located, which I don't. There are a few places marked cdrom on the filesystem - one directly under /, two of them in /media - one labeled cdrom, with a little blue arrow in the corner, one labeled cdrom0 without the arrow.
Can anybody tell me which one is it?
Thanks a lot!
Regards,

error_401

P.S.: According to wiki.linuxquestions.org, the syntax is "[sudo] mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" - I think I heard that in the new distros, /mnt must be replaced by /media. But when I type "sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom", guess what it says - special device /dev/cdrom does not exist!
I'm at a loss here...

#2 2007-04-14 22:28:47

herd
Website

Re: Mount a CDROM

If XFCE is integrated into your distribution, it should easily provide you an icon on the desktop as soon as you insert a readable CD-ROM, not any time sooner.

In the case of USB drives, they probably come in as SCSI emulated devices, e.g. /dev/sda.
You can check if it's recognized at all by issuing the 'lsusb' command.

To find out which /dev/ node, plug it in and issue 'dmesg|tail' or 'dmesg|grep -i usb' at the terminal.

hth,

herd

#3 2007-04-16 17:20:32

error_401

Hi herd,

I don't quite understand what you mean by "integrated into your distribution" - there was Ubuntu Breezy on the notebook, I upgraded to Dapper and put Xfce on, so now it's Xubuntu. I still have Gnome, however and if I can I'd like to put KDE on simply because I'm already familiar with KDE.
My external CD-Rom is not a USB-drive, sorry, i was unclear about that. It is similar to a parallel port, but I think it's a particular one only to be found on this particular model, specifically for the external drive.
Do you have any more ideas?
Regards,

error_401

P.S.: I tried the same in a Gnome session now and I added the "disk mounter" to the panel to do it. But when I tried, I got "special device /dev/hdc does not exist!"

#4 2007-04-17 17:30:38

error_401

Hi herd,

it's solved! I realized the CDROM is in fact mounted automatically only if it is present at the beginning of the boot process. Should be possible to mount it later actually, but as I won't need it too often, I'm quite fine with rebooting when I do.
Regards,

error_401

Board footer