Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-05 12:53:53

steve s.

Splash Screen too big [SOLVED]

Hello!

When I start xfce my splash screen is way too large for my 1024x768 screen...how can I correct this?  There doesn't appear to be a configuration gui that I can see for this screen...

#2 2007-05-05 20:43:24

Pindakoe

Re: Splash Screen too big [SOLVED]

The settings manager has an entry called Splash Screen. That only allows you to define the splash image you want to show. You could resize the image to a more manageable size with convert (from commandline) or various other graphic otols. The Convert command is:

convert -resize 400x400 oldsplash.png newsplash.pn

To convert the file oldsplash.png to a 400x400 image named newsplash.png. man convert and/or convert -help shows you what more you can do.

#3 2007-05-05 22:09:17

steve s.

Pindakoe wrote:

The settings manager has an entry called Splash Screen. That only allows you to define the splash image you want to show. You could resize the image to a more manageable size with convert (from commandline) or various other graphic otols. The Convert command is:

convert -resize 400x400 oldsplash.png newsplash.pn

To convert the file oldsplash.png to a 400x400 image named newsplash.png. man convert and/or convert -help shows you what more you can do.

Thanks!  But that didn't get it...thought it would.

I looked around and found xfce4-splash.rc and checked it also to see what was going on.

I can pick a picture just fine and resize it all I want, but the problem seems to be that the splash picture zooms in or something.  It's hard to explain.  For example, no matter the size of the picture, when the splash screen is up, I only see the upper left fourth of the picture for some reason...

Does that make any sense?  Is there a way to correct this?

#4 2007-05-06 07:08:20

Pindakoe

Hmmm, strange.

The contents of my xfce4-splash.rc are:

[Engine: simple]
Font=Sans Bold 10
BgColor=#000000
FgColor=#ffffff
Image=/full/path/name/to/image/Splash-DarkCleanLinux.png

The file Splash-DrakCleanLinux.png measures 318x397 pixels. This fits comfortably on my 1280x1024 screen.

Can you post the contents of your xfc4-splash.rc and the dimensions of the image referenced by it (you can do this with the file or the identify command).

#5 2007-05-06 12:30:13

steve s.

Thanks for the help on this, Pindakoe....

[CODE][Engine: balou]
Theme=sunlight

[Engine: simple]
Font=Sans Bold 10
BgColor=#000000
FgColor=#ffffff
Image=/usr/home/stephen/pictures/  splash/test_beach.png
[/CODE]

So, right now, what shows up is the "sunlight" picture.  I have no idea how to check and see how big it is.

However, when I did select the one mentioned, "test_beach.png" I made that one and it was 1024x768.

But, it zooms in and shows the upper left quarter of both of these...

And the sunlight theme I got from here: http://www.xfce-look.org/content/show.p … tent=36422

#6 2007-05-07 18:35:12

Pindakoe

You can use the commands:

file ~/file.png
identify ~/file.png

to get details about the file ~/file.png, including the dimensions in pixels.

I do not have the 'sunshine' splash. I have XFCE 4.4.0, with following splash screens showing up in the Splash screen: Mice, Simple & Balou. Only the Simple 'splash-theme' allows you to choose a custom image. Could it be that the sunshine splash thing is broken (or has limits on the size of the splash screen -- imho these are typically not bigger than 1/3 of each screen dimension, i.e. in your case something like 200*300 pixels).

#7 2007-05-08 00:42:51

steve s.

I appreciate your help Pindakoe, but the size of the image is not the issue.  For some reason it is the screen orientation or something.  This applies to ANY image, even the stock ones.

For example, if I pick the mice option, when my xfce4 session starts, my entire screen will look like this:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n110 … h_mice.jpg

Notice how the little mouse is in the right hand corner of the screen, rather than in the center (as it should be)...in other words, I seem to zoom in on the upper left quarter of whatever image/option has been selected.

Any ideas? 

(sorry, the title of this thread is probably missleading...I just didn't explain it well...)

#8 2007-05-14 13:42:08

steve s.

Turns out it was a FreeBSD issue...I had my video card configured with the option of being able to use a screen resolution larger than my screen was...1200x something...my screen is 1024x768.

I edited my xorg.conf and problem solved.

Thanks for your help!  The effort is definitely noted!

;D

Board footer