Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-28 18:11:54

mogchr

Trying to make an addition to the desktop environment, not sure where to start

Hello everybody,

I am attempting to make an XFCE based desktop that contains a bar at the top of the screen (similar to the one on gnome, except it would have a command box (similar to a search box)) and one at the bottom (containing all open files).  However, I do not know how I would go about customizing XFCE to do this.  My main concern is putting the command bar in the top bar (it would take custom commands that would perform different hard coded and user defined actions).  I just ened to figure out how I would get that bar and how I would get a top bar.  I have an example picture: desktop1cy3.th.png

#2 2007-06-28 19:22:55

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Trying to make an addition to the desktop environment, not sure where to start

Create a 2nd panel will to the trick. Right click you panel and customize it. Verve will give you the command line entry.

#3 2007-06-29 02:20:56

mogchr

Re: Trying to make an addition to the desktop environment, not sure where to start

So when I create the second panel, I can then get the command I need to put in my command/search box on that panel?

#4 2007-07-01 01:20:51

blackdisk

If you install xfce4-xfapplet you can use whatever applets are installed in gnome, which included what you show in that screenshot. For that you need to have gnome or its applets installed though.

Board footer