Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-21 14:57:17

Super Jamie

Individual Task List on TwinView Dual Monitors?

Hi all,

I'm currently running a videocard with dual LCD screens, and the nVidia TwinView driver.

In GNOME, when I give each screen its' own panel, and add a task list to that panel, the panel only shows apps on that screen. For example, if I open Firefox on Screen 1, it appears in Screen 1's task list only. If I then move the window to Screen 2, it appears in Screen 2's task list only.

Under XFCE, I setup the same dual monitor, dual panel setup, and add task lists to each panel. However, the task lists display windows from BOTH screens, not just their screen. For example, if I open Firefox on Screen 1, it appears in both panel's task lists. If I then move the window to Screen 2, it still appears in both task lists.

My question is: Is there any way to have individual task list for each screen in xfce4-panel?

It appears this question has been asked before, but in reverse, with two non-TwinView displays (running two X sessions? not an option for me) and someone wishing to have the same both-screens-showing-all-tasks problem that I have.

I notice this is in the panel plugins wishlist as well, so I'm guessing it's a feature not currently implemented in XFCE? It's honestly the only thing stopping me from using XFCE as my primary desktop environment.

I have found a sort-of workaround for those with the same problem, and that is to replace xfce4-panel with gnome-panel. Of course, then you need to theme your GNOME desktop similar to your XFCE desktop, which may be difficult. The GNOME "Theme" and other customisation commands will also not work for xfwm4, so configuring ones' Window Manager is no longer an easy task (even if it's just killall gnome-panel and run xfce4-panel, it's still a pest). It also would seem to defeat the purpose of using a lightweight desktop environment, you may as well just use full GNOME.

Thanks muchly for any suggestions people have,
Jamie

(if it matters, i'm referring to GNOME 2.81, XFCE 4.4, nVidia-glx driver 1.0.9631 on a Quadro FX500, x.org 7.2, on ubuntu+xubuntu 7.04)

#2 2007-08-22 12:47:33

Super Jamie

Re: Individual Task List on TwinView Dual Monitors?

Continuing on with this, I had the idea of trying to add GNOME's Task List (which it appears is actually a RedHat app) to the XFCE panel.

I couldn't find the correct files to add the GNOME Task List to XFCE's Add Item dialog, however I'll admit I stopped looking when I learnt about XFApplet, which lets you add GNOME panel applets to the XFCE panel.

It doesn't support GNOME Task List at the moment, but according to its' project page, it will next version.

Just adding it now, it doesn't size the tasklist properly. It also still displays tasks from both windows, so perhaps xfce4-panel, and tasklist are not the place where the window separation are managed?

Hmm...

#3 2007-08-22 17:44:46

Nick
Dev
Website

Nope, they are in netk (code inside libxfcegui4). Duno if Gnome works, which uses libwnck for that (basically the same code).

#4 2007-08-23 10:54:04

Super Jamie

Right you are, thanks muchly for the reply! smile

I see libwnck will be used next version. It's currently been ported over in SVN, but isn't fully functioning with xfwm4 yet (tho it does with metacity).

I shall anxiously await XFCE 4.6!

#5 2007-08-23 11:50:52

Nick
Dev
Website

I know, I wrote most of the patches....

#6 2007-08-25 00:51:55

Super Jamie

Haha, well then.

What sort of things would one need to know to help out? I've never written anything as serious as a window manager before, but I'm willing to try?

#7 2015-09-25 10:09:34

Sharky

I'm interested in this too but am currently away from my dualmon setup so can't test this out. Is this now implemented and turned on simply by going to:
Panel properties > items > window buttons > filtering > UNTICK "show windows from all monitors"  ?

Thanks!

#8 2015-09-25 10:26:02

ToZ
Administrator

I believe so, yes.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer