Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-29 02:50:35

titanplaya06

Installing on ubuntu

hey everyone. Im having trouble installing xfce on my ubuntu machine. Is there anyone that can tell me maybe step by step or give me a link that shows how to install step by step. Thank you for your help in advance.

#2 2007-08-29 06:09:39

SimonJ
Website

Re: Installing on ubuntu

If you have the graphical installer.

try this:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

sudo apt-get build-dep libxfce4mcs

sudo apt-get install libdrm-dev x11proto-fonts-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xf86dri-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxml-parser-perl libCGI-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl liburi-perl libwww-perl libice-dev libncurses5-dev libsm-dev libvte-dev libglib2.0-cil libgtk2.0-cil libvte2.0-cil libatk1.0-dev libcairo2-dev libexpat1-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libgtk2.0-dev libpango1.0-dev libpng12-dev libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcursor-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev x-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev zlib1g-dev libglib2.0-de libglib1.2-dev xlibs-dev libasound2-dev libxml2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdbus-1-dev libjpeg62-dev libxdamage-dev libxcomposite-dev libhal-storage-dev

Then extract the graphical installer and run it.

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#3 2007-09-17 04:16:28

weyersrw

Install Xubuntu from Ubuntu

If you have an existing Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Edubuntu installation, it is possible to install Xubuntu and retain your current installation. To do so, just go into Synaptic (or Adept if you use Kubuntu) and install the xubuntu-desktop package. There you are! Next time you login, you can choose Xubuntu from the Session menu on the login screen.

It works the first time

#4 2007-09-30 17:13:52

jessejazza

running edgy ver 6.10

I wanted to run the XFCE desktop and installed Xubuntu-desktop from meta-packages and found a bug in the session menu. I wanted to try it out to run apps a bit faster - anyone else had this problem?

thanks

#5 2007-10-01 08:14:53

jessejazza

Did a little more experimenting last night - be grateful if someone could explain this.

Instead of installing Xubuntu-desktop from meta packages using synaptic. I went to the 'Search' typed xfce. Installed all the packages listed. Re-started and chose xfce from the session menu. Found i could use xfce without a hitch - and no bug report coming up.

So what is the difference between this and installing xubuntu-desktop. The advantage for me is missing out Abiword as OpenOffice is a much better app. It would seem that i've installed the xfce environment without their default apps which you get with xubuntu-desktop.

thanks

#6 2007-10-18 23:50:03

bhagabhi

xubuntu-desktop is a only a meta package - a package that doesn't have any content itself other than dependencies on other packages. (in this case, what the ubuntu/xubuntu developers classify as the xubuntu desktop - including programs and tools). You probably got pretty much the same as you would have gotten installing the xubuntu-desktop package.

I dont run ubuntu/xubuntu myself, so I don't know the details.

#7 2007-10-24 10:27:48

vkramar

sudo apt-get install xfce4

Board footer