Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-11 20:24:55

sirlark

Give non root users access to shut down and restart buttons in quit dialog?

Hi,

I understand from this post (http://osdir.com/ml/linux.debian.devel. … index.html) that one needs to give appropriate sudo permissions to a user you wish to give the ability to shutdown/restart the machine from the the quit dialog. But I don't know what permissions to give, and to what commands.

I've tried giving my non-root user account the ability to run sudo /usr/libexec/xmsf-shutdown/helper as well as /sbin/shutdown -h now, but still no joy. The shutdown and restart buttons are greyed out. How can I fix this?

Thanks
James

#2 2007-10-11 20:30:31

kikinovak

Re: Give non root users access to shut down and restart buttons in quit dialog?

You have to edit /etc/sudoers to give the according right. This is a very special file that you have to edit with a very special command:

# visudo

... now add the following line somewhere in the appropriate section (doesn't really matter where, as long as it's there):

%users ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Effect is immediate, you don't even need to restart anything.

cheers,

Niki (sysadmin, CentOS 5.0, Slackware 12.0)

PS: learn to survive in Vi before issuing visudo. Open a terminal and give 'vimtutor' a shot.

#3 2007-12-15 22:02:34

antoine

In my Debian the line to add is:

antoine ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Instead of 'antoine' one should write his own username (using of course visudo as root).

#4 2007-12-20 01:37:14

undrwater

Depending on your distro, you may need to add your user to the plugdev group as well (or even instead) if you are using udev.

Board footer