Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-21 23:55:42

bigbearomaha
Website

Xfce customization help

hola folks.

I am working on a remaster project and am wanting to use Xfce as the default desktop.  I have seen a couple really nice implementations of xfce on Mint and elsewhere.

What  I am looking for is a doc or somewhere to find detailed info on how and where to make changes to the default Xfce  to get it working and looking like those others.

I appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

Yes,  I am poking it through on my own as well, as best I can anyway.

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.
Working toward making the computer everyone's resource, not just the ones who can afford it.

http://groups.google.com/group/freedom- … roup?hl=en

#2 2007-10-28 05:49:19

reinderien

Re: Xfce customization help

What do you mean by customization? xfce comes with some pretty nice GUI customization tools:

xfce menu > settings > panel manager
xfce menu > settings > user interface
xfce menu > settings > window manager
xfce menu > settings > window manager tweaks
xfce menu > settings > splash screen

Currently, my favourite user interface theme is xfce-dawn, and my favourite window manager theme is gelly.

#3 2007-10-28 08:49:18

Pindakoe

You also may want to look in ~/.config where you will find directories on xfce4, xfce4-session and possibly other xfce4-related apps. All the settings files you can set via the menu as the previous post said, but if you want to do scripting based on settings, here is the place to start.

#4 2007-10-28 16:49:55

TomE

Make the changes a user and then copy everything in ~/.config/xfce4/ to /etc/xdg/xfce4/

#5 2007-11-04 15:47:20

bigbearomaha
Website

thank you. that is some good info.

my two big things  I am wanting to modify are the exit bar and the right click menu.

otherwise.  everything is very good. 

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.
Working toward making the computer everyone's resource, not just the ones who can afford it.

#6 2007-11-06 16:49:36

bigbearomaha
Website

I have looked all through those folders and cannot find where the right click calls the menu.  I believe that is where it needs to be modified so I can create another menu then edit the file that tells  right click what to do.

The same applies to the exit bar.

If someone could point me to the dir where those tasks happen, that would be great.  so far,  I am searching all through and apparently can't find the files.

perhaps I am not looking for the right identifiers.

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.

#7 2007-11-08 03:19:54

bigbearomaha
Website

OK. I was looking at it "backwards" so to speak.

If I "save as" my default menu when I first open the menu editor, to (example) "mymenu", I can modify the menu in the panel to get a "custom" menu, specifying "mymenu".

then, I can go back to the default menu and modify any way I like and then the panel menu looks the "standard" way and my right click menu is my modified "default".

I was looking at it as the panel menu would be the one to be the default and the right click would be the one to change.

the panel menu is the "custom" menu.

now that's solved.

From all I have read at the Xfce forums, the "desktop right click" we see on xubuntu and Mint xfce, is a specifically customized xfce done by ubuntu.

so, outside of compiling and modifying yourself, it's a ubuntu specific thing.

now, on to the exit bar, which I am seeing is about the same thing, an ubuntu custom recompile of the default xfce.

( these are guesses based on searches of the xfce forums. searches are only as good as the very specific terms you enter to search for)

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.

#8 2007-11-08 03:31:18

bigbearomaha
Website

TomE wrote:

Make the changes a user and then copy everything in ~/.config/xfce4/ to /etc/xdg/xfce4/

interesting development.

I am using Mandriva based PCLinuxOS 2007.

when  I look in the "/etc/xdg" dir, there is no xfce subdir at all.

is this just because it hasn't been done yet and that by copying my ~/.xfce user dir to the /etc/xdg/

it will then use that as the default for all new users?

Also, I have looked all through the manuals and scanned through many directories trying to find where the specific xfce apps and commands are.

such as what is the name of the specific app to call up the "desktop settings" window?

is there an app or command to call up the "launcher" as is in the "desktop menu" when you right click on a folder link on the desktop??

that kind of stuff is what  I am trying to find now with no success as yet.

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.

#9 2007-11-08 15:46:14

bigbearomaha
Website

OK, I have found the xfce apps in /usr/applications.  easy huh?

Ubuntu has done a complete rebuild it seems so the bars,etc  I was looking for are specific to ubuntu.

but   I have made a custom quit submenu using the apps mentioned above.

2 out of 3 solved.

as to user defaults.  /skel doesn't work with xfce it seems.  BUT

I found /etc/X11/xdg

which seems to be the default spot.

Question, If I am working in the root acct and customize that , can I copy over the .config stuff to the /etc/X11/xdg area or must it only be a regular user to make it work?

I have tried the customize the root and it always gives me an error.

I will try to customize a user and see how that goes.

any ideas/suggestions?

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.

Board footer