Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-02 16:18:29

Pindakoe

Thunar doesn't thumbnail some JPG-files

I have noticed that Thunar (0.8.0) doesn't seem to thumbnail most JPG-files. It seems that it refuses to do this on bigger JPG's (400-500 Kb), but not on files belwo 250 Kb (note I am unsure this is always true; it seems to fit the pattern I am seeing). Right-clicking a file, then changing 'Open with' without making any change to the sofware specified there does create a thumbnail. Browsing that folder with nautilus first, and then going back with Thunar solves, presumably because either action invokes the gnome-thumbnailer.

I have been trying to understand whether Thunar has a size-limit above which it doesn't do thumbnailing, but cannot find that in the docs. I have found a comment that suggests Thunar will only JPGs provided these contain a thumbnail in their EXIF data.

Anybody who can provide guidance how to resolve this?

BTW: I note that I have significant numbers of files in ~/.thumbnail/fail. Deleting ~/.thumbnails and then browsing to one folder shows that the number of files in ~/.thumbnail/fail matches the number of JPG's for which I see no thumbnail, so somehow my JPGs are not up to standard>

#2 2007-12-02 18:09:06

Pindakoe

Re: Thunar doesn't thumbnail some JPG-files

Done some further searching and found links suggesting this is a known bug here, here. Both posts put the blame on libpixbufloader-jpeg.so, which on my mandriva system comes with gdk-pixbuf-loaders-0.22.0-11mdv2007.1 (even though I run 2008.0).

Board footer