Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-22 04:09:44

Alcap

Few Issues

Hey there,
I'm new to XFCE, but I'm loving it, so far, except for these small thing:
Firstly, I wanted to send the icons you can see on this screnshot to the right, and I can't. Is it possible to do so?
Another thing is that I can't define a default application to open some files. For example, image files are opening up with the web browser, plain text files are opening with the image viewer, etc. Is it possible to change?
I've also been trying to change XFCE's language settings. I've tried everything but I can't seem to find the proper menu. Is it possible to change them? If it isn't can anyone point me where I can download the Portuguese(European Portuguese) version, or the english version?
I'm thinking about enabling xfwm4 native compositing, is it going to consume tons of memory, or memory usage will be more or less the same?
Lastly, I need to sort, in some folders, the files by date. When I do so, Thunar changes every folder to be sort by date. How can I change this?
Thanks for the help, I hope there's no real easy answer to these questions, otherwise I'm going to fell really stupid :?

#2 2007-12-22 11:12:56

march
Website

Re: Few Issues

[quote author=Alcap]
Firstly, I wanted to send the icons you can see on this screnshot to the right, and I can't. Is it possible to do so?

Rightklick on the icon you want to move. Then choose "move" and place it somewhere else. smile

[quote author=Alcap]
Another thing is that I can't define a default application to open some files. For example, image files are opening up with the web browser, plain text files are opening with the image viewer, etc. Is it possible to change?

Start Thunar - choose a file - e.g. xy.jpg. Rightklick -> Settings -> Open with... and choose your favorite program.

[quote author=Alcap]
I've also been trying to change XFCE's language settings. I've tried everything but I can't seem to find the proper menu. Is it possible to change them?

I don't know if there are diferences in Xfce and Xubuntu by choosing this way: Applications -> System -> Language support

#3 2007-12-22 16:43:24

Alcap

march wrote:

[quote author=Alcap]

Rightklick on the icon you want to move. Then choose "move" and place it somewhere else. smile

I had tried that before:P, it doesn't work, it just sends the icon to the left, right next to the others.

[quote author=Alcap]

Start Thunar - choose a file - e.g. xy.jpg. Rightklick -> Settings -> Open with... and choose your favorite program.

That would just work for that single time. I don't want to have to open every file with the right click just so that I can do that.

[quote author=Alcap]
I've also been trying to change XFCE's language settings. I've tried everything but I can't seem to find the proper menu. Is it possible to change them?

I don't know if there are diferences in Xfce and Xubuntu by choosing this way: Applications -> System -> Language support

Can't find it in debian:S

#4 2007-12-22 17:15:42

march
Website

[quote author=Alcap]
That would just work for that single time. I don't want to have to open every file with the right click just so that I can do that.

Try to edit ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list e.g.

[Default Applications]
image/jpeg=gqview.desktop
text/plain=mousepad.desktop

[quote author=Alcap]
Can't find it in debian:S

Try to install: language-pack-qt and language-pack-qt-base

[img]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6771/xubuntuzc6.png[/img]

#5 2007-12-22 19:10:35

Alcap

The packages language-pack-qt and language-pack-qt-base do not exist in the repositories.
Editing the file did nothing :-(

#6 2007-12-23 08:07:17

Pindakoe

Alcap wrote:

I've also been trying to change XFCE's language settings. I've tried everything but I can't seem to find the proper menu. Is it possible to change them? If it isn't can anyone point me where I can download the Portuguese(European Portuguese) version, or the english version?

I set this from GDM (or whatever display or loginmanager you use) -- typically there is a button 'language' or (with GDM) press F10 for its menu instead of entering username/passswd. This updates the file ~/.dmrc which (AFAIK) sets the preferred desktop environment (gnome, kde, xfce, ...) and language. Mine reads:

[Desktop]
Session=06xfce4
Language=en_GB

You can obviously also change the Language= line to read whatever it shoudl be for Portugese

#7 2007-12-26 02:59:00

stonecrest

[quote author=Alcap link=topic=3759.msg15181#msg15181 date=1198341804]
I had tried that before:P, it doesn't work, it just sends the icon to the left, right next to the others.

You need to add the "separator or spacing" item to your panel. In its properties, you can make it "Expanding empty space".

Board footer