Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-01 05:19:06

ncblee

Customizing the Applications menu

Regarding the info in the FAQ topic on adding/removing entries in the Applications menu - is there a way to override the display of items in the menu for a particular user(s)?. For example to have a login for a child and have the Systems sub-menu not display in that login, or just individual entries not display. The idea here being to present users other than the main master user presented with a subset of that main menu varied by user?  I have seen (or perhaps misread?) info that indicates that I can put a duplicate of a given <n>.desktop file in the individual user´s home tree with ¨Nodisplay=true¨ added and have that override the master in /usr/share/applications and not display for the given user. Is this so? Or....?

#2 2008-01-09 16:27:02

ronkin

Re: Customizing the Applications menu

I'm not sure there is a way to do exactly what you want but you can accomplish it by modifying the other user's menu to be anything that you want.  If you want it to be a subset of your own menu just log in as root, start up xfce4 and copy the file /home/<your_user_name>/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml to /home/<other_user_name>/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml.  Then log in as that user and modify that menu any way that you want it to be and that is all that user will see.  Or you can also modify that menu while logged in as root by selecting modify menu from your menu icon and then opening the other user's menu file, "/home/<user_name>/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml", and doing the editing and then save the menu file back to it's original location.  After doing everything as root make sure that the other user's menu file retains the correct "user" and "group" properties.   This will accomplish what you want but it doesn't allow the other user's menu to dynamically change when you change your menu.  Good luck.

Ron

Board footer