Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-13 00:12:10

Coffee1970

Newbie here.....question on XFCE and Compiz on Xubuntu...help please.

Hello and thanks for reading....

I have installed Many distros and like having the Ubuntu format.  I tried all the KDE's and Gnomes, Fluxbox, etc.
I liked that XFCE has some customizations, but not a system resources hog, as I only have an older Athlon CPU.

Can I use the compiz effects with XFCE?  I have seen YouTube videos on this, but not sure on what I am doing.
I use the package manager to get everything...I know how to as I did it numerous times on Ubuntu and others.
I have not seen the nVidia logo come up after re-booting even though it says I am using restricted drivers and have all installed?

I do not even see a menu selection to select the level of desktop effects like I did in Ubuntu....where I could select use 3-D effects, etc, etc.  Under Ubuntu, I think it let you choose no level of effects, normal, max, or custom (which got checked by using compiz)...if I remember correctly.

If cannot use Compiz, can I somehow get the older Beryl and use, or is there a better, but equally good program for XFCE?
Hope you understand all this.....it's all a learning process I know.
Thanks everyone!!! 
Brian.

#2 2008-02-13 10:01:30

march
Website

Re: Newbie here.....question on XFCE and Compiz on Xubuntu...help please.

You'll find Compiz here: Applications -> Settings -> Window-Manager-Tweaks. Choose Compositor and activate Compiz. Or start xfce-setting-show wmtweaks from a terminal.

You'll find the restricted-manager for your nVidia in Applications -> System. Which driver is used in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

#3 2008-02-13 15:53:27

bls9707
Website

Re: Newbie here.....question on XFCE and Compiz on Xubuntu...help please.

I used this site to help me with xubuntu + compiz, it has step by step instructions with screenshots.
*http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2007/1 … y-xubuntu/
* before you start you should ensure that your video card driver is installed properly
*caveat emptor  - I have had problems with compiz remembering my system settings after a reboot, with this method

Board footer