Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-09 18:20:54

sirlark

How does the menu panel plugin determine installed apps to display

Hi all,

I have two questions regarding the menu panel plugin

a) How does it determine which apps are installed? I presume it looks through the bin directories for executables that are recognized, and puts them into a predefined list of categories, however I notice that apps I've installed in my home dir appear sometimes, and also apps that I run under wine.

b) How often is the list refreshed? I've deleted a lot of stuff from my home dir, but the wine applications still appear in the menu. How can fix this?

Cheers,
James

#2 2008-02-16 00:41:02

lmo

Re: How does the menu panel plugin determine installed apps to display

The items grouped in the middle of the menu between separators are made up from the files with names ending in .desktop under the directory /usr/share/applications and under the directory ~/.local/share/applications. The entries in those .desktop files are displayed roughly according to the freedesktop specification. Those entries seem to appear/disappear/change either instantly, or within moments of adding/changing/removing one of the .desktop files.

#3 2008-02-18 15:39:43

sirlark

Re: How does the menu panel plugin determine installed apps to display

okay, I've removed the .desktop files (thanks for that info BTW)... but how did the wine applications get there in the first place? Does anyone know if wine transparently creates .desktop file in response to windows installation executables attempting to create program folders/start menu icons?

Board footer