Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-10 08:00:23

rngetter

Wanting to rid gnome.

I have Xubuntu 7.10, and I'm wondering if I got rid of all Gnome dependent programs, could I completely remove gnome altogether? I'm wondering, because I'm trying to create a very low resource system that maintains a fully usable GUI.

Also, is there a command or chain of commands I could use to find out all the programs that are using Gnome so that I may replace them with XFCE or otherwisely dependent programs, so as to completely remove Gnome from my system.

#2 2008-03-11 19:49:16

herd
Website

Re: Wanting to rid gnome.

At the very basement of all gnome apps sits a library called the gnome runtime.

sudo apt-get remove libgnome2-0

will uninstall all gnome runtime dependant applications in one go;
However the usability of your system will be severely impaired, since you'll also lose
a lot of useful stuff like update-manager, network-manager, thunar-archive-plugin etc...

Just open up synaptic, seek out libgnome2-0 from installed, click properties and have a look
at dependant packages. Or if you like the CLI more:

apt-cache rdepends libgnome2-0

Will list them all.

Xubuntu is not the best choice if you want a 100% gnome-free system, the saying goes, but I have
no idea if another debian based xfce distribution exists.

The leanest possible xubuntu variety I got by using a fat ubuntu desktop system, attaching the hard disk to it and debootstrapping the most minimal system onto it, then adding packages as need arose.
Here's a good tutorial:
http://www.linutop.com/wiki/index.php/Debootstrap
Less than 1.5 GB.

hth,

herd

#3 2008-03-17 04:25:51

jdkcn

Re: Wanting to rid gnome.

rngetter wrote:

I have Xubuntu 7.10, and I'm wondering if I got rid of all Gnome dependent programs, could I completely remove gnome altogether? I'm wondering, because I'm trying to create a very low resource system that maintains a fully usable GUI.

Also, is there a command or chain of commands I could use to find out all the programs that are using Gnome so that I may replace them with XFCE or otherwisely dependent programs, so as to completely remove Gnome from my system.

I think u can try the gentoo, u can add -gnome USE in /etc/make.conf
then no gnome dependent programs when u install xfce desktop.

Board footer