Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-03 16:41:26

sunexplodes

How can I edit the new menu specification in XFCE 4.6 Beta?

I'm used to something like the OB/PekWM menu system where I can just have links to commands, where this seems to use the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications (if I understand correctly). Is there a way I can manually edit the menu to only include the limited list of entries I require? I've gone into the above-mentioned folder and slimmed it down a bit, but it'd be nice if I could put things in the order *I* want them in, in the FOLDERS I want them in. As well as have links to commonly-used documents that don't HAVE a .desktop file.

ALSO, is there a way I can get my applications menu on a desktop right-click again? I can get it as a submenu of the regular desktop menu, but there used to be an option for REPLACING that desktop menu. I ask because I don't use the desktop for file management at ALL, so the right-click root menu is handy.

#2 2009-01-10 20:23:29

sunexplodes

Re: How can I edit the new menu specification in XFCE 4.6 Beta?

So I figured out the right-click desktop menu thing, i just had to disable desktop icons.

But in the actual XFCE Community, is there honestly nobody who knows how to edit the new menu? Did the XFCE project actually move to an uneditable menu spec? And if so, how could this possibly have been a good idea?

#3 2009-01-14 16:37:03

Dottout

hi, I found a workaround: cd to /usr/share/applications and play with  *.desktop files. remove what you dont need and add your favourite apps (create a new foo.desktop file) wink if you look into those files they give you some useful hints, like the menu/submenu section. eg:
Terminal position:

Categories=X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;

the most annoying thing is that your menu items will be listed in alphabetical order..

#4 2009-01-15 01:30:34

s0ulslack

Are you telling me your complaining without searching the Wiki? sure sounds like it.  Check all available docs/resources _before_ saying "bla bla bla wth"

http://wiki.xfce.org

From the bot in the channel
xwh menu[1]: for info on how the menu is autogenerated etc, see the xfdesktop faq (http://spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfce4/#faq)
xwh menu[2]: [for 4.6] copy /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu to ~/.config/xdg/menus and customize it.
xwh menu[3]: [for 4.6] You can also create desktop entries in ~/.local/share/applications to override the existing applications (change or hide) or add new ones.
xwh menu[4]: http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

Good luck

#5 2009-01-17 18:55:47

sunexplodes

And are you telling me, you complained about my post without actually reading it? I was asking if there was a simple way for me to edit the menu WITHOUT using the .desktop files mentioned in the wiki, as editing individual files is a painstakingly time consuming process, not to mention the fact that I can't actually change the order of menu items.

I was hoping there was a simple way to add links in the menu a la the old style, where I could simply add things to the markup. Guess not.

Board footer