Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-07 18:01:00

Virchanza

Drag+Drop results in copy

I'm running the latest version of Xubuntu.

On the desktop, if you drag and drop a file into a folder, it results in a copy. However I want it to result in a move.

Does anyone know how to change it from copy to move? (Please don't suggest that I hold down a certain key when dragging -- I want the default to be move). I've searched the web high and low but can't find an answer.

When I used Windows XP, a drag-and-drop would result in a move if the source and target were on the same drive, however it would result in a copy if they were on different drives. I quite liked this behaviour. Can it be replicated on Xfce?

#2 2009-02-08 02:33:13

shadow

Re: Drag+Drop results in copy

I love everything else about Xfce, but to be honest I don't think the Desktop is very well integrated with the file manager. I've actually stopped using it because it behaves so differently to Thunar. I think the Desktop in XP is almost an extension of Windows Explorer, where as Xfce's desktop still needs some polishing.

You might find it more useful using the Desktop to show the running applications instead (there's a setting). Personally I keep it blank and quickly open the desktop folder in Thunar whenever I want to access a download etc.

I wouldn't try to make everything like XP though, best to try to adapt   wink

#3 2009-02-08 16:52:42

herd
Website

Use modifiers:
Shift+Drag: Move
Ctrl+Drag: Copy
Ctr+Shift+Drag: Link
(Note how the mouse pointer changes)

This is true for both desktop and thunar, however each seems to default to its own liking. *)

hth,

herd

Edit:
*) seems to be fixed with 4.5.92.

#4 2012-09-13 10:14:10

user999

herd wrote:

Use modifiers:
Shift+Drag: Move
Ctrl+Drag: Copy
Ctr+Shift+Drag: Link
(Note how the mouse pointer changes)

This is true for both desktop and thunar, however each seems to default to its own liking. *)

hth,

herd

Edit:
*) seems to be fixed with 4.5.92.

I am using Debian wheezy.
I am getting "copy" behavior on drag and drop with desktop 4.8.3.
(Thunar 1.2.3 does "move" properly on drag and drop.)

Is this the expected behavior? It is inconvenient.

Last edited by user999 (2012-09-13 10:17:23)

Debian wheezy with Xfwm 4.8.3

Board footer