Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-28 21:47:35

AlexBR

How to install xfce 4.6 at /opt/xfce?

Hello!

Is it possible to install XFCE 4.6 at the alternative directory /opt/xfce? I'm using the Graphical Installer. The installation seems OK, but... When I try login, I receive an error message. Something like this...

"Possible causes: xfconfd is not in execution (problem in the configuration of the D-bus); the variable $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is defined incorrectly (it should include "/ opt/xfce/etc"), or xfce-session is installed incorrectly."

Can anybody help me?

#2 2009-02-28 22:25:02

gamin

Re: How to install xfce 4.6 at /opt/xfce?

well, I' dont know yor linux distribution,but you can try add your /opt/xfce/etc/xdg directory to global environment variables in /etc/profile or /etc/bashrc.

1-open you /etc/profile whit your favorite text editor
2-search the variable XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
3-append /opt/xfce/etc directory whit ( separate whit ":") at the final of line (e.j)
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg:/opt/xfce/etc/xdg

#3 2009-02-28 22:43:01

AlexBR

Didn't work! I already tried that. I think it is some problem with the D-bus. :-(

I'm in a Ubuntu Intrepid notebook.

#4 2009-03-03 21:04:46

wlkngowl

Why not install in /usr/local?  /opt is intended for packages which need all of their files in one place, rather than spread out over the standard bin/lib/libexec/share/etc hierarchy.

That said, to install in /opt, you need to make sure you've updated your PATH, LIBEXEC and possibly GTK_PATH, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variables.

Board footer