Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-11 11:55:39

vitaminx

stopping processes at logout

Hello,

I'm working on Debian testing and I'm starting a daemon (jackd in this case) on start of xfce4.6.
I've added it to the autostart programs and so far so good.

The only thing is that it keeps running after logout.

How can I stop (kill) the process at a logout from xfce? Is there a script that is executed while logout which i can modify?

Thanks,
vitaminx

#2 2009-05-11 19:34:42

herd
Website

Re: stopping processes at logout

I don't have any experience with jack but by the name I'd guess that it is a daemon.
As such, it most likely disconnects from the current terminal and forks into the background per default.
Therefore, when the session ends and all child processes of 'startxfce4' get a Ctrl+C on their terminal,
it will continue to run.

Most daemons support command line parameters like --no-daemon to solve this problem.
Issue a jackd --help from the command line to see if there are any, then edit your autostart entry to the outcome.

hth,

herd

#3 2009-05-17 15:48:17

vitaminx

i found a way to stop jackd, it can simply quit when all clients disconnect.

the problem still persists with mpd. it has an option --no-daemon, but there's no difference. once started it won't quit automatically at logout.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
vitaminx

#4 2009-05-18 08:24:53

vitaminx

well, solved the thing for now.

1. cp /etc/xdb/xfce4/xinitrx ~/.config/xfce4/
2. add own commands directly after line containing "$xfcesm" (line 134 in xfce 4.6,1)
3. choose again "xfce4 session" from gdm's session list as new default session (without choosing this personal xinitrc is not read!)

this works fine but i hope there will be a nicer solution in some future version of xfce wink

greetings,
vitaminx

Board footer