Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-09 13:16:01

carlesso

Moving and resizein window - Xfce 4.6

Hi all.
I've recently updated my xfce to 4.6, and the first thing I noticed is that it's not more possible to move and resize windows _directly_, i mean not with actual ALT+F7, then move, then confirm.

I guess that a lot of people were very addicted to this feature, which not many WM offers.
Again, I guess it's due the new xfconf "philosophy" and design.

I must be honest, that feature was the first motivation for me to use xfce. I'm asking developers if that feature can be reimplemented in the new configuration world. Trust me, I love xfce. Every linux addicted user has a list of killers application which with the years try to complete. For me was obvious that my wm is and will be Xfce, but that feature is vital.

Therefore I'm begging the developers to try to reintroduce it, and I'm wondering if there's other person which feels like me.

No other solution are valid, I've written a script using a combo of xprop/xwininfo/wmctrl which is _very_ slow and non-reactive. For some days I've used fluxbox + xfce4-session or e17 with xfce4-session, but is the worst solution in the world.

So, please, please, please, tell me if you're going to do something, or if it's makable, and where can I look for in the sourcecode for trying to reimplement it.

Looking forward some feedback, a big thanks to all the team which provided us the best WM in the world.

#2 2009-03-10 07:43:00

s0ulslack

Re: Moving and resizein window - Xfce 4.6

I'm not sure exactly what move/resize feature your talking about, but have you checked the ones available? Settings-> Window Manager-> Keyboard Tab.  Check whats available.

#3 2009-03-10 15:56:59

fatcat

I can move and resize windows either directly or using alt-f7.
I do not understand what has been changed or what is missing.

#4 2009-03-10 16:05:39

wlkngowl

Do you mean that you want to be able to use the Ctrl- or Ctrl-Shift arrow keys to move and resize windows rather than Alt-F7/Alt-F8? I think they were changed because they conflict with keyboard shortcuts in various editors.

#5 2009-03-14 19:36:51

mc_barron

I am having similar issues - I used to have keyboard shortcuts to move the window: (Ctrl-Shift-Alt + <arrow key>) would move the window without me having to take my hands off the keyboard.

I can still SEE the correct shortcut defined using "xfce4-settings-editor", but I can't see "move window ___" at ALL in the "window Manager" -> "keyboard" preferences tab (nor does this shortcut do anything when I press it).

http://shannonandmike.net/misc/screensh … yboard.png

Any ideas on what happened?  Why can I still see the shortcut in the new 4.6 preferences but it doesn't work?

#6 2009-03-14 21:50:28

s0ulslack

mc_barron,

make sure xfce4-settings-helper is running, if not start it and save your session on logout.

#7 2009-03-15 22:58:39

mc_barron

yeti~ | xfce4-settings-helper
xfce4-settings-helper is already running

it's already running - all the other shortcut keys that I can assign through the tool work, it's only the window move keys that aren't there (and don't work).

#8 2009-03-15 23:02:17

carlesso

That's why these keys has not been removed jet. But, as Oliver said, there will be no more possibility to move windows directly by Ctrl+alt+shift+<arrows>.

#9 2009-03-16 00:53:31

mc_barron

Ah - then it looks like I share the same opinion as @carlesso.  I love XFCE, and will continue to stay with it and spread it's use as much as I can; but, sadly, one of the original reasons I chose XFCE has now been removed.

It would be great to see this command return, or to at least find a workaround or hack to get it working again.

#10 2009-05-15 23:20:56

reisio

As fatcat pointed out, the functionality is still there, it's only slightly different.  Originally I was also upset about it because I didn't know the shortcut, but the new functionality is actually more flexible.

#11 2009-06-04 21:52:50

jacobfe

i agree 100% also the move window option is gone. i used to be able to move windows around on my desktop with shortcuts.move_window_down_key=Shift+Alt+j
move_window_down_workspace_key=None
these are separate, only the latter exists now. i want to get my move window down right up and left back (and i do not mean move to diff desktop i mean position on the screen) fluxbox had this and i believe still does.  main reason i use xcfe was for the nice configuration. i like to be able to do lots of things and i feel that my time with xfce is coming to an end as it starts to become less configurable and more like gnome. if i wanted gnome i would have gnome.

#12 2009-06-05 13:45:36

carlesso

jacobfe wrote:

i agree 100% also the move window option is gone. i used to be able to move windows around on my desktop with shortcuts.move_window_down_key=Shift+Alt+j
move_window_down_workspace_key=None
these are separate, only the latter exists now. i want to get my move window down right up and left back (and i do not mean move to diff desktop i mean position on the screen) fluxbox had this and i believe still does.  main reason i use xcfe was for the nice configuration. i like to be able to do lots of things and i feel that my time with xfce is coming to an end as it starts to become less configurable and more like gnome. if i wanted gnome i would have gnome.

At least I'm not alone... Thanks.

Btw, I switched to e-17 up to now, which (together with trayer) is covering everything i need... Give it a chanche, jacobe!

Board footer