Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-06 02:01:32

SantaFe

[solved] The case of the missing xfdesktop.

First of all, I REALLY like XFCE, but for some reason ubuntu 10.04 LTS (with GNOME of course) doesn't like XFCE 4.6.1.3.  For some reason, after using Synaptic to install XFCE & Xubuntu files, XFCE will work fine, but the xfdesktop will suddenly quit after a while & wala I have the GNOME desktop, but XFCE everything else, Panels, menu, ect.   This happened once before when I did a fresh install of Xubuntu 10.04 & added GNOME so this time I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 & added XFCE.  Same problem.

I sort of have a fix by adding a launcher & using the command: killall -HUP xfdesktop in it.  Clicking on that restarts xfdesktop, but was wondering what could be causing GNOME to mess with XFCE?

Have to admit, it IS kinda nice to be able to single click on the icons on the desktop instead of double clicking, as well as NOT having that border around the ICON name.  ;D  And yes, I know how to get rid of it.  :twisted:

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

#2 2010-09-06 11:02:18

etnlWings

Re: [solved] The case of the missing xfdesktop.

Sounds like you're still using Nautilus. If you use nautilus, invoke it with the --no-desktop argument to stop it from drawing the background. Also make sure it's not already running. That alone could be enough to make xfdesktop crash, as you've got two apps trying to draw to the root window.

#3 2010-09-06 21:43:08

SantaFe

Re: [solved] The case of the missing xfdesktop.

etnlWings wrote:

Sounds like you're still using Nautilus. If you use nautilus, invoke it with the --no-desktop argument to stop it from drawing the background. Also make sure it's not already running. That alone could be enough to make xfdesktop crash, as you've got two apps trying to draw to the root window.

Hmmm... looked in System Monitor and indeed Nautilus was running.  Which is funny because I'm using Thunar as my file manager & trash panel applet.  Stopped it running then made sure it wasn't listed in Session and startup/session & rebooted.  Didn't show up again, so hopefully it's fixed. 

Must have showed up when I tried XfApplet & tried the GNOME trash applet, which uses Nautilus.

THANKS!!!!!!!   One mystery solved.  ;D

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

Board footer