Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-14 22:16:02

aliko

Default Desktop Icons' Location and Launcher question

Hello,

I am running XFCE 4.6.2 on machines with multiple monitors (5-8 screens). Usually there are two monitors mounted high on the way. I am using Xinerama so all the screens combined into one big desktop. As a result the left most screen on the wall has coordinate 0,0. My desktop icons now all get placed right on that screen.

Is there any way to have the icons place on my other monitor that is on the desk, which is below the top monitor? The monitor top left coordinate would be 0,1920.

I know I can move the icons to the bottom screen. But whenever I try creating a new launcher icon, it get placed again on the top left screen.

My second question is regarding the create launcher procedure. If I use the Create launcher option via right mouse click and create launcher, the icon doesn't appear on the desktop until I go and change the desktop icon type. Maybe there is a simpler way to refresh. But is it possible to have the icon appears right away once the launcher is created?

Thanks,
ling

#2 2010-09-15 16:41:42

herd
Website

Re: Default Desktop Icons' Location and Launcher question

Unfortunately this behaviour is not configurable.
xfdesktop will locate new desktop icons on the top left, then fill downwards until the first column is completed, then continue.

It should be easy to fix this if you care to file a bug report.

To the second question - if the application already appears in the menu, just type in the name. Auto-completion will populate everything including the icon. Alternatively, open Application finder and drag the application to your desktop.

Board footer