Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-19 21:16:45

PorcelainMouse

Do plans exist for better handling of xbell events?

The last three releases of Fedora Desktop have dropped xbell support in XFCE (and other desktop environments).  This is due to a lack of support in pulseaudio for xbell.  (A pulseaudio module for xbell exists, but Fedora doesn't configure it and there are some technical and idealogical reasons not to support xbell this way.)  From what I understand, xbell still works in Gnome only because Gnome traps that event, applies the sound theme, and reroutes it.  I thought this was weird, but the PA folks also seem to agree it's the WM's job to fix this.  (See http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/543)

I don't want to use Gnome just for xbell, but that's what I've had to do on my work system where I couldn't afford to spend time fixing this myself.  I'm wondering if/when XFCE will also implement "proper" pulseaudio-based support for xbell events.

#2 2010-09-20 16:27:30

herd
Website

Re: Do plans exist for better handling of xbell events?

If I may throw in my 2 cents, this seems to be a homegrown fedora problem -- xfce does not have any dependencies on pulseaudio.
In fact, xfce only depends on gstreamer and libcanberra.

I would rather remove pulseaudio in any xfce setup and rely on plain alsa; then, xkbbell works as expected.

#3 2010-10-04 06:10:18

M.Calvin

PorcelainMouse wrote:

The last three releases of Fedora Desktop have dropped xbell support in XFCE (and other desktop environments).  This is due to a lack of support in pulseaudio for xbell.

you have said it with the reason .

#4 2010-10-06 01:36:39

PorcelainMouse

I'm not denying that.  But, the Fedora team seems to be denying that Xfce actually supports xbell events any more.  They think the fact that xbell events are not serviced is perfectly okay.  I filed a bug with Fedora and they were gracious enough to track down an acceptable workaround, but xbell will remain completely broken in the Fedora Xfce spin unless something else is done.  But, what should be done?

So, I'm asking the Xfce team how they think xbell should be delt with, in the long run, considering the move toward pulseaudio.

Regarding Xfce dependence on pulseaudio, yes, that's true; it doesn't depend on pulse.  You might even say it's incompatible with pulse, since the pulseaudio team has clearly stated xbell is not fully supported.  If Xfce passes xbell events on to the audio subsystem, and pulseaudio cannot--or should not--handle it, then this is a major problem for all the distributions that have chosen to use pulseaudio as the de-facto subsystem.  If you want Xfce to run on ALSA directly, that's fine, but someone better tell Fedora.

So, that's my question.  What does the Xfce team expect to happen when Xfce receives the xbell event?

#5 2010-10-21 19:22:33

PorcelainMouse

Come on.  Please let me know what I can do about this.  I just want to know what the Xfce team wants.  Who can I contact about this problem?

#6 2010-11-02 05:53:10

nina1589

Well you should contact the support team via mail and then hopefully they will solve your problems.

Board footer