Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-17 12:49:58

blurymind

feature suggestion for xfwm4 -corners!

First of all thank you for developing xfce4. every one involved in it. I love xfce4, its my pick from all environments in linux.

Kde4's window manager and compiz fusion has that feature. Gnome 3 has it too. Its screen corners window management.
In essence it works like this:

The user hits one of the 4 corners of the screen with the mouse and that triggers a command. The most common command is the osx-like expose feature that scales all opened windows and lets the user pick one. Xfce4 has a compositing engine now and knows how to use opengl. The only reason many people still have to run compiz instead of xfwm4 is the corners and the expose effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXjLT1V2kc
Having that makes it possible for users to navigate through open windows without having to look them up in the task list in the panel. I personally have my panels hidden by default and use the corner-expose command to switch windows.

There are almost no alternatives to compiz and kde4 that are light or simple and work on modern linux.
Kompose can not be compiled. Skippy doesnt work with screen corners and istead uses keyboard shortcuts. Plus skippy is very hard to configure and get running.

#2 2010-10-19 02:46:46

demosthenese

Re: feature suggestion for xfwm4 -corners!

brightside, though a gnome application, will allow you to do this with Xfce. Though there are some dependencies it is probably lighter than compiz.

#3 2010-10-27 13:42:44

etnlWings

They're called hot corners and they're a god awful idea. I suspect the only reason they're included in Compiz is due to the lack of any GUI front-ends for exposing Compiz functionality.

Xfce4 has a compositing engine now and knows how to use opengl.

No, it doesn't.

The only reason many people still have to run compiz instead of xfwm4 is the corners and the expose effect.

No, it isn't, although I'm sure a significant number of people use Scale.

#4 2010-11-11 12:01:19

jeromeg
Website

Hello,

The forum should not be used to report bugs or ask for enhancements. Please file them on http://bugzilla.xfce.org.

Cheers,

Jérôme

Board footer