Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-14 18:18:44

escapingsummer

Hello

I have been a long time user of XFCE, well honestly a combination of KDE and XFCE, however I prefer XFCE and decided in the last few years to run strictly XFCE. I am new to the forum and was hoping for some introductory information or whatever you can give me.

Thanks

"True sophistication and ingenuity comes from trying to solve complicated things by the simplest of means."

Desktop- Fedora XFCE x86_64
Netbook- Modified Fedora 14 security spin -fluxbox/Fedora XFCE

#2 2010-12-15 04:49:23

vrkalak

Re: Hello

Welcome to the Xfce Forums.

What kind information do you seek?

Did you checkout the Xfce Wiki?  http://wiki.xfce.org/

There is alot of info there.

#3 2010-12-15 21:12:30

escapingsummer

Not anything technical. I pour through documentation so that is not an issue. Just any friendly information or what have you.

"True sophistication and ingenuity comes from trying to solve complicated things by the simplest of means."

#4 2010-12-15 21:49:22

gnome_refugee

Hi, escaping summer.

There are some old Xfce tips and tricks pages, and one devoted to Thunar (http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/documentat … and_tricks). However, a lot of the more interesting bits and pieces are right here in the Xfce forums. They have accumulated over many years and are not organised, and some no longer apply (to Xfce 4.6).

Why not go through the archives and make up your own selection of 'friendly information' (tested with the current Xfce), then post it?

#5 2010-12-17 06:13:36

kalwisti

Hi, escapingsummer,

You didn't mention which distro(s) you are using, so it's hard for me to give specific advice. Also, since you have been using Xfce for a while, you may well be interested in more advanced tips / tricks. However, I thought I'd mention that PCLinuxOS Magazine recently published a series of articles on Xfce. This series was published separately as a special issue of the magazine, and can be downloaded here in PDF form:

http://pclosmag.com/index.php/downloads

Look for the hyperlink titled "Gtk Lightweight Desktops: Xfce & LXDE S.E. [Special Edition]."

Although this issue's content is PCLinuxOS-specific, I think you'll find that their implementation of Xfce is not drastically different than another distro's ... So you might find some useful information there.

HTH.

Registered Linux User # 442201

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW

#6 2010-12-18 02:11:12

escapingsummer

I run Fedora, for a while I used the vanilla kernel. However working and college has forced me to revert to the mainstream kernel with a few tweaks I have made, mostly involving the scheduler and hyper threading.
I ran PCLOS for a while however it was with KDE I think the ISO was called mini-me?  I liked PCLOS however out of Loyalty I stuck by Fedora (even when dependancy-hell was still rampant). I was curious more or less information about the website, projects, or news in general. The desktop itself is easy to tweak and a if you have a problem a quick google search will do the trick. Plus splicing parts of gnome into my desktop to patch up any holes I found never hurts.

Board footer