Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-30 21:10:18

ArMo3

Problems with xfdesktop (I guess)

Hello,

I installed Xfce 4.6.2 on my newly installed Gentoo x86 system. As per the Gentoo handbook, I have my ~/.xinitrc to "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4" as I have consolekit installed. When I `startx', I find myself looking at a pitch black screen with the taskbar panel on the lower part of the screen. I have to manually start xfdesktop in a terminal (which outputs http://paste.pocoo.org/show/312182/ ) . After this as I move around my terminal, the blackness is cleaned and I get my screen (this doesn't happen when I've not started xfdesktop manually; any window, not specifically terminal can do the cleaning up). Now my desktop doesn't have any icons. Nor can I right click and show a menu.

EDIT: And to add to this info, I've installed Gentoo and thus Xfce in VirtualBox so my drivers are VirtualBox Guest Additions ones.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
ArMo3

Last edited by ArMo3 (2010-12-30 21:22:32)

#2 2010-12-31 19:45:37

ArMo3

Re: Problems with xfdesktop (I guess)

I managed to solve the first part of black screen by adding "xfdesktop" to auto-started applications. However, still there are no icons on the desktop. I cannot see the menu either. When I installed Xfce, these were the few warnings that emerge reported:

* Messages for package xfce-base/xfce-utils-4.6.2:

* Run Xfce4 from your favourite Display Manager by using
* XSESSION="Xfce4" in /etc/rc.conf

* Messages for package xfce-base/thunar-1.0.2:

* /usr/share/applications/Thunar-folder-handler.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "FileManager" in key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" requires another category to be present among the following categories: System;FileTools
* /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "FileManager" in key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" requires another category to be present among the following categories: System;FileTools
* If you are seeing some odd dbus error, make sure your user is in the
* plugdev group. See Gentoo bug #279077 for more info

* Messages for package xfce-base/xfdesktop-4.6.2:

* /usr/share/applications/xfce4-about-xfce.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" does not contain a registered main category
* /usr/share/applications/xfce4-file-manager.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" does not contain a registered main category
* /usr/share/applications/xfce4-logout.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" does not contain a registered main category
* /usr/share/applications/xfce4-run-program.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" does not contain a registered main category
* /usr/share/applications/xfce4-terminal.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" does not contain a registered main category
* /usr/share/applications/xfce4-web-browser.desktop: (will be fatal in the future): value "X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" does not contain a registered main category

Board footer