Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-15 23:54:02

hyrob

Windows Placement ??

Having used xfce for quite a while I can't seem to find a way to keep my system as light as possible with all the features I would like it to have.

To the gist then : Is there a way of inducing a auto-resize action for a window to be place to for example right half of the screen.
Are there any other ways of inducing such actions (half by  half of the screen to the upper/lower right/left corner) in xfwm4.

I would love such a feature to be implemented already and just learn how to find but having been looking for it for so long I don't think it is.

Currently instead of using xfwm4 as the window manager i'm using compiz which extremally resource consuming. The only reason I'm using compiz is that the above mentioned feature is working wery well. I just have a key combination inducing the windows resize and thats it.

Anyone know a solution or do I have to stick to compiz ??

If I'm not putting what I say in a well understood maner the following should help understand the problem:
resize

I'm almost sure that the problem is neither system or version specific but here they are :
xfwm4  version 4.6.2 (revision 74b960b)
xfce4  presumabley 4.6.2
System Sidux/Aptosid 64 bit kernel 2.6.31-6.slh.1-sidux-amd64

Last edited by hyrob (2011-01-16 00:00:56)

#2 2011-01-16 04:00:02

azertyh

Re: Windows Placement ??

hello,
look at devil's pie. it's very light.

#3 2011-01-16 11:53:30

demosthenese

You could install wmctrl to control windows placement. man wmctrl will give you an idea of what it can do. As an example:

wmctrl -r  :ACTIVE: -e 0,840,0,840,1050

This will move and resize the active window. Adjust the values to suit your screen geometry.

You could then attach this command to a keyboard shortcut.

#4 2011-01-16 14:02:42

hyrob

I have tried wmctrl and it worked quite well.
There two problem's that I have with it.
As I have a double screen set up using one command (hotkey) I could resize and move windows from the current postion to the desired position on either of the screens. Wmctrl however seems not to have an option to do that, as I have to give a fixed value as to which desktop and what is more which resolution to use.

The other problem I've got is that my xfce-panels are not what you may call standard and as far as I can see I cannot get wmctrl to resize windows to exact pixel but only to the nearest five.

As of devil's pie I have it installed but have not taken a deeper look into it. But the thing I noticed is that it runs all the time and works on rules. Unless a rule can be given with an condition similar to the following :
if hotkeypressed , resize and move active window according to given data

I still however cannot see how in devils pie i can give dynamically changing values depending on the screen I have the window in (as they have different resolutions).

Thanks for suggestion but any new ones would be welcome.

Board footer