Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-18 01:39:19

wilberfan

Upgrade to 4.8; no trash can on desktop

After upgrading today on my Arch system, I have no trash can on my desktop.   I found the settings gui and 'trash' is checked.   I also have a launcher but it's not showing as an icon--it's just a xxx.desktop file now.

Any thoughts?

#2 2011-01-18 08:44:05

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Upgrade to 4.8; no trash can on desktop

Do you have gvfs installed? Apart from that xfdesktop is still unfinished in some places, this will improve during 4.8, but there were no developers taking care of all the issues.

#3 2011-01-18 16:00:57

wilberfan

Nick wrote:

Do you have gvfs installed? Apart from that xfdesktop is still unfinished in some places, this will improve during 4.8, but there were no developers taking care of all the issues.

Okay, installing gvfs took care of the missing trash can icon (thank you!), but the launcher is not a proper icon yet (still just a xxxxx.desktop file...)

#4 2011-01-18 23:41:54

Nick
Dev
Website

The desktop file name has been fixed in the git repository, so will be available in 4.8.1.

#5 2011-01-21 02:14:03

picilli

Nick,

after upgrading to xfce 4.8 the floppy icon simply disappeared. Desktop icon, not panel. Yes I still use 3,5" diskettes extensively.

Today I installed a xfdekstop from a git  repository, and it fixed desktop file names, however, the floppy icon is missing, it's not a problem with the file name, the icon just isn't there.

Is it related to xfdesktop or something else ? Please can you tell how to get the little floppy drive icon back to the desktop, or point to the package responsible for this ?

Thank you.

@wilberfan,

Get this little tarball from http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34083
Don't be confused by date in a title, it is just a date maintainer uploaded xfdesktop first time, last year. It actually builds a new xfdesktop package out of a fresh source from a git repo.

In the extracted archive type: makepkg -s
It pulls a fresh source from a git repository and builds a new xfdesktop package. Install it by typing:
pacman -U xfdesktop-git-2011*
It fixes desktop file names.

#6 2011-01-21 02:32:09

wilberfan

picilli wrote:

@wilberfan,

Get this little tarball from http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34083
Don't be confused by date in a title, it is just a date maintainer uploaded xfdesktop first time, last year. It actually builds a new xfdesktop package out of a fresh source from a git repo.

In the extracted archive type: makepkg -s
It pulls a fresh source from a git repository and builds a new xfdesktop package. Install it by typing:
pacman -U xfdesktop-git-2011*
It fixes desktop file names.

Well, it took the "xxxx.desktop" off off the launcher, but the icon still doesn't display...

#7 2011-01-21 02:47:06

picilli

wilberfan wrote:

Well, it took the "xxxx.desktop" off off the launcher, but the icon still doesn't display...

Yes, actually that's the case here too, I can't use my favorite icons from $HOME any more. It doesn't work. But, at least here it takes xfce supplied icons without problems.

A simple workaround is to copy your favorite icon into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x/32... or wherever you wish in /usr/share/icons/... That's what I did and it works. I think the icon must be png image, and it becomes accessible by xfce menu "edit launcher" change icon...

Last edited by picilli (2011-01-21 02:50:40)

#8 2011-01-21 17:51:03

wilberfan

picilli wrote:

A simple workaround is to copy your favorite icon into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x/32... or wherever you wish in /usr/share/icons/... That's what I did and it works. I think the icon must be png image, and it becomes accessible by xfce menu "edit launcher" change icon...

Hmm.  That didn't work for me with the launcher I'm having problems with.  I copied the icon.png file to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/ ... but it still doesn't display as an icon on my desktop...

Board footer