Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-01 18:13:15

rene

New 4.8 panel showing starting applications?

Good day.

Pardon if this answer is available from somewhere -- the terms seem to be too general to search for.

I've recently upgraded (through arch linux) from 4.6. The 4.6 panel would show me buttons for applications that were starting: the second I'd click for example the firefox icon -- a launcher that I've called "Web Browser" -- the panel would immediately show a button "Web Browser" on the taskbar, that would change name once the application was fully up and running.

As an accessibility issue, I at times have troublesome mouse skills and this feedback was important to me to know that "I clicked right". In 4.8, I only get a button once the application is fully up and running though -- which with Mozilla products (and my computer...) tends to take a bit.

Is there a way to get the 4.6 behavior back? If not, this is a feature request.

Kind regards,
Rene

#2 2011-02-02 12:43:15

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: New 4.8 panel showing starting applications?

I dropped it in 4.8 and there already is a feature request for it in the bug tracker. With a decent theme you also see the loading cursor and most users thought it cluttered the task list.

#3 2011-02-02 20:18:44

rene

Re: New 4.8 panel showing starting applications?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I needed you to tell me but now that you have, I do see the loading cursor.

I will say that I do still prefer the old behavior. The cursor is a fairly minimal form of feedback and issues like it,  in a somewhat hard to explain way, make the difference between having to focus on one's own "troublesome mouse skills" or being able to just background it. Between battling with the computer and using it, if you will...

I'll probably get used to watching for the cursor-feedback though and it's not a big issue -- but just so that you know, there's at least one person that would check the relevant checkbox if it were an option.

Kind regards,
Rene

Board footer