Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-20 22:06:39

NL_Derek

Xfce documentation

Hi all, I've been a fan of Linux for years although I use windoze at work and occasionally troubleshoot it for friends and family. My distro of choice is Vector and my desktop of choice is ... er ... umm ... you know ... thingummy (:-).

Anyway I'm a tech author, mostly service and user manuals but also online help, for hi-tech materials analysis machines (XRF and XRD if anyone wants to know), and I shall be retiring this summer at the ripe old age of 62.

I have no intention of vegetating and one possibility is to help the community by working on the Xfce documentation. If I do go for this I'd like to know who my team-mates would be. I have been lucky/clever/choosy enough to have always worked in companies with a good atmosphere; places where people laugh a lot but work bl**dy hard.

Please don't think that a sixty-two-year-old is necessarily an old fogey; I wrote my first computer program in 1967 and have been in hi-tech all my life, mostly in the field service area but also including artificial intelligence, IC fabrication, ship-sized diesel engines and medical devices.

I'm English but have lived in the Netherlands since 1979; I am probably more `cloggie' than `limey' by now.

So if you make, use, or contribute to Xfce documentation let me know what you think. (And if you don't make, use, contribute ... what the h*ll are you doing on this forum :-)

--- Derek

#2 2011-02-20 23:27:08

Chrisg2x
Website

Re: Xfce documentation

great presentation !

good luck to you Derek.

Christopher.

#3 2011-02-24 19:51:54

Nick
Dev
Website

Derek, there are no documentation team mates. Some people 'signed up' for working on this, but I still have to see the first contribution. So there is a lot to improve, but nothing going on...

#4 2011-02-25 20:17:53

NL_Derek

To boldly go where no man has gone before, was it?

Doesn't matter. As I said, I shan't be available for serious work until the summer. But I shall start browsing the documentation that does exist, and try to draft a bit of a doc plan. Off the top of my head, we're talking about 2 man-months of work; I shall probably work about 30% so it'll be a half-year project; end of 2011 thus. Will that bring me into the next release?

In the meantime, please post with your wishes (positive or negative) for documentation. My workload is pretty high right now and I have a decent social life but I should be able to check back here weekly.

Let me end with a bit of advice my mother always gave: Be good; and if you can't be good, be careful! (:-)

--- Derek

#5 2011-02-25 20:42:04

Nick
Dev
Website

Subscribe to xfce4-dev mailing list and lurk there for a while. There is some documentation activity lately and that will also keep you updated on other important topics.

#6 2011-02-25 21:45:58

NL_Derek

I already did; not much so far but I'll keep watching.

#7 2011-02-25 23:34:23

gnome_refugee

Have a good look through these forums, too, as there's nearly an Xfce manual here already...

P.S. I'm 65 and started with FORTRAN in high school in... OMG... 1960. Sigh.

Board footer