Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-24 21:20:44

mcc

[Solved] Panel Icon

Hi All,
I have a question about putting an icon/panel item on the top panel bar using Xfce 4.6 on Xubuntu 10.04.  I would like to put Htop on the top panel.  I went to the panel / right clicked / add new items...  I chose the launcher and proceeded to put in 'htop' pointed it to the proper directory, chosen an icon and I thought I was OK.  Unfortunately, the icon when opened simply gives me an error message that says [Failed to launch "HTOP" Failed to execute child process "htop" (No such file or directory).]

Any ideas,
M

#2 2011-02-25 03:03:31

gnome_refugee

Re: [Solved] Panel Icon

Hi, mcc.

htop runs in a terminal, so choose the 'Run in terminal' option in the Launcher dialog window. Next time you hit the icon, your default terminal will open and run that command. (At least, that's what happens with Xfce 4.6 on my machine!)

#3 2011-02-25 18:57:14

mcc

Hey GR,
I finally figured it out.  It took going back to 'gnome' in a sense but I got it.  What I would do in gnome is add the command 'gnome-terminal -e' then the program name (command).  I guess I thought that the Xfce terminal was simply named 'terminal' instead of 'x-terminal-emulator'.  I was using 'terminal' when I should have used:

/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -e htop

The -e is the command for entering commands in the terminal window. That along with checking the "Run in terminal" box, etc.
Cheers,
M

#4 2011-02-25 23:30:16

gnome_refugee

Yep, that works, too. The Xfce included terminal is xfce4-terminal and is a nice tabbed one.

Board footer