Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-04 23:41:33

pabe1250

[Solved] xfce4-panel launcher and icon disappearing after remastering/reboot

Hi!

I'm working with a remastering of Tiny Core where xfce4/xfwm4 is the chosen Windowmanager. One of the tasks is to eliminate the "right-click-desktop-menu" BUT keep the desktop-icons. This has been impossible to realize since these two features are intimately intertwined: no right-click means no icons and that's it.

The solution has become to put the launcher icons in the panel in the upper left corner of the desktop. Everything is remastered on a live system and the Xfce4.tcz is decompressed into a tmp-directory. Then the working configuration of /usr/local/share/xfce4/userdefaults/* is copied in to the decompressed squashfs. After that it's compressed again and once again becomes Xfce.tcz and is copied in to the bootloaded directory /mnt/hda1/tce/optional/.

In this situation I have 3 working launcher icons in the panel. If I exit X-windows into textmode and run startx I will return to X-windows and the 3 launcher icons are still in the panel and working.

Then, if I reboot, the same configuration is read into RAM, and 3 "dead" launcer icons appear in the panel. The configuration files in ~/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher- .... are identical as they were when they were working/showing before the reboot and the 1234567890.desktop (or similar) which holds the actual configuration is even set in the /tmp/tcloop/.... but it seems as if they are not read since the launcers are dead.

In this situation if I create a new launcher of the "dead" icon a new file will appear in ~/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher- and the launcer will "come to live" again and will survive out and in of graphical mode.

Any ideas of how to solve this so that the remastered Xfce4.tcz actually will start up "live" launcher icons in the panel?

Thanks for any ideas!
/Paul

#2 2011-03-07 21:37:56

pabe1250

Re: [Solved] xfce4-panel launcher and icon disappearing after remastering/reboot

I solved it today, but not really. It was solved with an "ugly hack".

In default there are two .tcz-files involved in this - Xfce4.tcz and xfce4-panel.tcz.

The first one creates /usr/local/share/xfce4/userdefaults/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel.xml/xfce4-panel.xml.
The second one creates /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/panel/default.xml.

When the 3 launchers are created as mentioned above, it updates the xfce4-panel.xml file with the new configuration, but if you save it in Xfce4.tcz, it will be over-written by default.xml on system start.
I then tried to copy the correct configuration to default.xml and packed it in xfce4-panel.tcz, but no luck, the user xfce4-panel.xml gets over-written somehow once again with a default configuration.
Then I tried to erase the xfce4-panel.xml in Xfce4.tcz and then there was some progress, because when the system started up it asked "do you want to use default panel configuration?" And choosing yes gives me the 3 launchers ALIVE and WORKING!

To make it automatic I wrote a line in /usr/local/bin/xfce4 that copied default.xml into the xfce-perchannel.xml-directory. Now everything works. Finally!

Hope this helps someone.

/Paul

Board footer