Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-27 18:52:18

GS

[Solved] Setting a Minimum Width for the Alt-Tab Selection Window

This is a truly *minor* issue.

I'm using Xfce 4.6.2 under Debian testing. I like to Use F11 to take x-terminal-emulator windows out to the full screen and then switch among the terminal windows using Alt-Tab. Some of the remote systems on which I have terminal windows open have long names. Here's the best part. Those long names all start with the same 5 or 6 characters. This means that, if I'm switching among just two or three of these remote systems, the Alt-Tab selection window doesn't show me enough of the remote systems' names to be able to differentiate between them when selecting which to bring into focus.

Obviously, if I have enough applications open on the workstation, the Alt-Tab window is going to expand to be wide enough for me to see the whole remote system name, but I'd like to be able to set a minimum width for the selector. I've looked throughout all of the settings applets, and I've spelunked around under my user's .config location and /usr/share but can't find a setting for this (maybe because there isn't one, or maybe because I'm not looking for the right name?).

If someone can toss me a crumb on this one I'd appreciate it. If it's not doable, it's hardly a tragedy.

I'm looking forward to seeing 4.8 in "Wheezy", but I have absolutely loved 4.6.2.

#2 2011-03-13 13:34:57

GS

Re: [Solved] Setting a Minimum Width for the Alt-Tab Selection Window

All righty, then. I'll post this, just in the unlikely (very) case that anyone else out there is as dumb as I am.

Naturally, I was looking at the problem the wrong way around. I didn't need to make the Alt-Tab Selection Window wider (and I couldn't shorten the remote system names). All I had to do was tell the terminal not to call itself "Terminal" followed by the session name. Once I told it to just use the session name (%w) as its title I had plenty of room in the window to see the workstation names.

And even I can (probably) tell when I'm looking at a terminal window. I don't really need the word "Terminal" up there in the title bar.

Yeah, I was being kind of dumb. I thought I'd just bring this back up to the top of the pile in order to share my embarrassment.

Board footer