Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-25 00:10:11

DasFox

[Solved] How Do You Delete- Add Window Manager - Styles?

From what I can remember when Xfce started I see it still has pretty much a lot of the same styles it had in the beginning.

I'd really love to delete a lot of these old styles and replace them with something new...

Can the Styles listed under the Window Manager preferences be removed and added?

THANKS

#2 2011-01-25 07:22:09

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: [Solved] How Do You Delete- Add Window Manager - Styles?

$XDG_DATA_DIRS+/themes, ~/.themes.

#3 2011-01-26 02:28:24

DasFox

Nick wrote:

$XDG_DATA_DIRS+/themes, ~/.themes.

I don't know much about XDG because I've only used OpenBox for many years as my desktop.

I see this as a cmd I'm running? But since I see a + sign in it, it makes me think this is only for adding a /path?

Please explain...

THANKS

#4 2011-01-26 21:08:11

mmassonnet
Website

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi … atest.html

XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_DATA_HOME are respectively a list of system-wide directories and the data directory inside the personal home directory.

Then there is also XDG_CONFIG_DIR and XDG_CONFIG_HOME that are very common.

Mike

#5 2011-01-26 23:39:42

DasFox

mmassonnet wrote:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi … atest.html

XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_DATA_HOME are respectively a list of system-wide directories and the data directory inside the personal home directory.

Then there is also XDG_CONFIG_DIR and XDG_CONFIG_HOME that are very common.

NAME_NAME_NAME looks more like a Kernel configuration...

Can you please show me actual paths?

I've never seen a /path in Linux before with THREE uppercase words underscored....

I do not have any .xdg paths in my $HOME and the only /path I see in the system is /etc/xdg

I'm a Linux geek, but can we please simplify this, explaining where we are actually going and what we are actually doing?

THANKS

P.S. After posting this, not sure what I was thinking before, I remembered they are in /usr/share/themes... Not sure what XDG has to do with this though...

Last edited by DasFox (2011-01-27 01:07:42)

#6 2011-01-27 07:39:34

Nick
Dev
Website

$XDG_DATA_DIRS is an environment variable that contains multiple paths to data locations on the system (so Xfce doesn't need to search on different distributions and can work with custom installation location), so "/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/opt/xfce/share". You can see the output for your system when you run `echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS` in a terminal.

If you want to (system-wide) install a new theme you have to put it in one of the data dirs +/themes (for example /usr/share/themes).

There is also a user-location to add new themes, that is normally ~/.themes (a hidden directory in your home folder, create it with `mkdir ~/.themes` if you don't have it yet).

See also http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes

#7 2011-01-28 05:07:40

DasFox

Nick wrote:

$XDG_DATA_DIRS is an environment variable that contains multiple paths to data locations on the system (so Xfce doesn't need to search on different distributions and can work with custom installation location), so "/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/opt/xfce/share". You can see the output for your system when you run `echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS` in a terminal.

If you want to (system-wide) install a new theme you have to put it in one of the data dirs +/themes (for example /usr/share/themes).

There is also a user-location to add new themes, that is normally ~/.themes (a hidden directory in your home folder, create it with `mkdir ~/.themes` if you don't have it yet).

See also http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes

/usr/share/themes and ~./themes I knew about, just didn't quite understand what all the $XDG_DATA_DIRS stuff was all about...

THANKS

P.S. Now if we can just get some new themes out there, because there doesn't seem to be much in the way of new themes for Xfce...

#8 2011-03-14 23:44:30

Anzhr

I've found most GNOME Gtk themes work and show up in Xfce 4 Settings Manager. But not all. I've installed all the engines I could find but even so...

Board footer